We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Costa Rica in September

Brooklyn, NY
1 post
Save Topic
Costa Rica in September

Lonely Planet doesn't recommend travelling to CR in Sept. They write, "For surfers, the Pacific coast sees increased swells and bigger, faster waves during the rainy season, peaking in the worst rainy months of September and October. The Caribbean side has better waves from November through May."

To anyone who's ever been to CR in September, is it really that bad? I can only go then because of my job.

Thank you!

Utah
Level Contributor
80 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Costa Rica in September

The big swells are a good thing aren't they? The bad part is that the winds are generally on-shore which don't shape the waves as well as off-shore.

As far as the rain goes, I went there on my honeymoon in September and a group of us are going again this year in Sept. It rained several of the days we were there last time, but it was very tollerable.

Days were generally clear with cloud forming inland at about 3p.m. They would move over the beach at about 5pm and dump for about 1-2 hours. Then clear skies at night. Where I'm from we almost never get rain without wind which makes it miserable. None of the rain storms in CR had any wind, and the rain was very warm. Not bad at all for us.

Besides, prices are much better in Sept.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
47,172 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Costa Rica in September

deartracie...I have been here all my life...and for us costaricans..September is a great month because it sounds like December...and that means beach!!

We have no choice...we have to be here..it is wet...but some days are just incredible...and prices are the best...come and enjoy the almost 4 million people that have no choice but to get wet!!

R.A luis

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in paradise!!

Mt. Olive, NJ
Level Contributor
38 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Costa Rica in September

We went to Costa Rica two years ago in September and we only had two days that it rained for about 1-2 hours. The rest of the time the weather was glorious! It was much less crowded and less expensive also. We swam in the ocean in Tamarindo and Manuel Antonio with our kids and it was great. Keep in mind that September is iffy. You can have great weather like we did, or lots of rain. If you can not tolerate too much rain, I would go at a different time.

Santa Cruz
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Costa Rica in September

is not that bad ........ If you love to Surf !!

But rain just for like 2 hours in the afternoon !!

Santa Cruz
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Costa Rica in September

is not that bad ........ If you love to Surf !!

But rain just for like 2 hours in the afternoon !!

6. Re: Costa Rica in September

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:18 pm, September 07, 2009