We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time visitors

manitoba
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
First time visitors

We will be visiting Costa Rica for the first time the beginning of Feb for 2 weeks. We are staying in two different Airbnb residences, the first one is described as 8 minutes from Tamarindo by car. We would appreciate recommendations on : car rental agencies (will need one for our first week), grocery stores, best beaches for boogie boarding as well as best beaches for snorkeling.

Thank you

9 replies to this topic
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
3,429 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time visitors

Vamos is a great car rental agency. Snorkeling is not good on the Pacific coast unless you take a boat trip (maybe). The water can be rough and the coast is often rocky so I don't know about boogie boarding. I know that you can surf.

Where is your second location?

manitoba
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time visitors

Our second location is right in Tamarindo, so we won't require a car.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
50,276 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time visitors

Alamo rent a car...

roaddvisor

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
3,429 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time visitors

If you're going to CR for two weeks are you sure that you don't want to see more than just that one spot? This is a very diverse country and you'll see very little of it.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
23,033 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time visitors

Beach at Tamarindo had plenty of boogie boarders and surfers . Beautiful beach .Just left yesterday!

Edited: 10:15 am, January 20, 2018
manitoba
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time visitors

Yes, it would be great to see more. We are hoping our next visit to Costa Rica will be on the Caribbean side .

I truly want to see Arenal Volcano!!

manitoba
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time visitors

Thanks so much for the info!!

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
90 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time visitors

We stayed in Papaguyo Bay and took a all day trip to Arenado and did a rain forest tour and it was great but I would go stay up there one night cause it makes a long day on bumpy road! THE TRIP WAS WELL WORTH IT.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
16 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First time visitors

My favorite rental agency internationally is Sixt, if they are present. Very consumer-oriented, well run. Read and heed the various car rental advisories about CR. My preference is to use Uber for local trips (ie, to and from a beach). They are inexpensive and numerous around tourist areas. Most do not speak English but they are kind and know exactly how to get you where you want to go. You can trust them, they depend on 5 stars for their living. Just be sure you have international roaming, which you would need for GPS, googling, anyway. I use T-mobile and they are great.

Reply to: First time visitors
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Tamarindo