We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should we tip

Which Santa Cruz hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Nebraska, USA
Level Contributor
135 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Should we tip

Going to stay at the Riu Guantacaste (all inclusive) in Costa Rica. Should we tip the servers, etc.?

Nebraska, USA
Level Contributor
135 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Should we tip

When we landed in Liberia, the shuttle took us to the Riu Palace instead of the Riu Guancaste (next door) and they said they were giving us an upgrade. I was disappointed because I liked the decor of the Riu Guanacaste. Checking later, we found out that the Riu Guanacaste had overbooked. They said we could use both facilities, so it worked out. We stayed two weeks and had a wonderful time booking different tours every other day. We tipped a lot. The people were lovely and seemed happy with their jobs. There were monkeys in the forests next to the Palace and they had built cages around the baby turtles which we saw hatching on the beach at the Riu Guanacaste. So I don't know what they were talking about in the way they treat wildlife. We took a river cruise and saw many crocodiles sliding into the river, and many birds, iguanas, etc. It was a wonderful trip.

Dyer, Indiana
Level Contributor
1 post
26 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Should we tip

Yes, take $100 worth of singles along. I know it's all inclusive but seriously, what's a few bucks for great service.

Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
255 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Should we tip

If your experience was like ours in CR, you will be be more than happy to tip about everyone. CR tourism workers put American tourism workers to shame, seriously.

Nebraska, USA
Level Contributor
135 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Should we tip

We already returned from C.R. and we did tip all the time. They are very happy people who take pride in their work. We were happy to tip them.

15. Re: Should we tip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, August 11, 2014