We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive from JW Marriott Santa Cruz to Arenal???

Washington
Level Contributor
91 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Drive from JW Marriott Santa Cruz to Arenal???

Can anyone tell me how many hours drive it would be from the JW Marriott in Santa Cruz to the Arenal area? Possible for a day trip??

Hotel Playa Negra
Hotel Playa Negra
#1 of 5 hotels in Santa Cruz
Hotel Iguanazul
Hotel Iguanazul
#2 of 5 hotels in Santa Cruz
Hotel El Castillo Divertido
Hotel El Castillo Divertido
#3 of 5 hotels in Santa Cruz
Canandaigua, New...
Level Contributor
2,053 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive from JW Marriott Santa Cruz to Arenal???

yourtravelmap.com/costarica/…

neat site that gives you all travel distances in km and miles and directions

4.30 hours.... Tamarindo to La Fortuna

estimated

Edited: 9:08 am, September 06, 2010
Mentioned in this post
Tamarindo
Tamarindo
Province of Guanacaste, Costa Rica
San Jose
Level Contributor
1,000 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive from JW Marriott Santa Cruz to Arenal???

I would also agree that its around 4 - 4 1/2 hours. I stopped once at a nice place en route for a quick bite, I think it was Cafe Almendras or Almendros (not that sure) close to Rio Piedras... good sandwiches! in case you want to give it a try

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
49,220 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drive from JW Marriott Santa Cruz to Arenal???

Nice to have a link...but here I go with my driving tales...

Two ways to drive to Arenal from...JW.... by Guacimal or by Liberia Canas..

Drive to Santa Cruz...about 40 minutes from JW...from there to the entrance of Amistad bridge...about 45 minutes... take the road to AMISTAD BRIDGE...all the way to Guacimal about 40 minutes....make a right at the gas station...now you are at Pan Am Hwy #1...all the way until you get to the entrance to San Ramon...about 1 hour from Guacimal...

From San Ramon...to Arenal...La Fortuna around one hour and 30 minutes...total driving time from JW...easily 4 to 5 hours...

Going back...you can drive from La Fortuna around Arenal lake...to Tilaran about one hour...from Tilaran down to Canas 45 minutes...from Canas to Liberia about 40 minutes...from Canas to JW one hour...total driving time to JW...3:45 hours. driving time!

Either way is nice...maybe by Liberia and then Canas...Tilaran is the closer one for you...

As I always said I may be the wrong person to answer this kind of post since I love to drive...and I still do it at my family transportation company...stablished in 1928...founders of Costa Rica public transportation!

roadadvisor

Edited: 1:48 pm, September 07, 2010
Mentioned in this post
Arenal Lodge
Arenal Lodge
901 Reviews
La Fortuna de San Carlos, Costa Rica
Liberia
Liberia
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drive from JW Marriott Santa Cruz to Arenal???

Love you, Luis, but I have one teeny tiny clarification: from the Amistad Bridge, go to Limonal and then turn right (the road dead ends there - big Shell Station on right). Then head for Guacimal - look for signs.

And ---- you forgot to mention stop at Las Tres Hermanas for barbecue!!

Always love your driving tales - so good.

Edited: 2:37 pm, September 07, 2010
Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Drive from JW Marriott Santa Cruz to Arenal???

Sorry - forgot --

You can also go across the Amistad Bridge and when you get to Limonal and the Shell Station, turn left and go to Canas (about 1/2 hour). In Canas, turn right (there will be a sign for Lago Arenal) and go to Tilaran and on around Lake Arenal as roadadvisor said.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
49,220 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Drive from JW Marriott Santa Cruz to Arenal???

My God so many mistakes today...I'm so afraid of Guacimal and Limonal...some police traps around there...again Hattie you are correct...as always!

Good steaks at Las Hermanas...as good as Bramadero...I still remember it..

roadadvisor

San Jose, California
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Drive from JW Marriott Santa Cruz to Arenal???

Which way is faster between the JW and Canas? South across the bridge to Limonal? Or North through Liberia?

Mentioned in this post
Liberia
Liberia
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
460 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Drive from JW Marriott Santa Cruz to Arenal???

I have to say that the fastest way to get there is Nature Air. Also great views of Arenal volcano.

Fabio

Try http://www.teetimescostarica.co.uk for discount golf in Costa Rica.

Mentioned in this post
Arenal Volcano National Park
Arenal Volcano National...
Province of Alajuela, Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Drive from JW Marriott Santa Cruz to Arenal???

Have to say - you can't really fly from Santa Cruz to Arenal. You would have to fly from Tamarindo to San Jose and then to Arenal.

As for driving, I think it is a little quicker to go by the Amistad Bridge and Limonal. It's about the same distance from Santa Cruz to Limonal and Liberia. However, Limonal is a little closer to Canas (which is where you turn to go to Arenal). Maybe 20 minutes closer. (It's about 45 minutes to an hour from Liberia to Canas and 20-30 minutes from Limonal to Canas.)

Both ways have good roads all the way.

The only advantage I can see for going the Limonal route is that you avoid the traffic around Liberia. Really not a big deal, however.

If you are coming from Liberia, you can stop at the Rio Corobici and have a float trip or have lunch and then visit Las Pumas Wildlife Rehabilitation Center before you get to Canas. Of course, if you are coming from Limonal, you can drive past Canas for a little bit (about 4 km) and do the same thing.

Mentioned in this post
Tamarindo
Tamarindo
San Jose
San Jose
San Jose Metro, Costa Rica
Liberia
Liberia
Arenal Lodge
Arenal Lodge
901 Reviews
La Fortuna de San Carlos, Costa Rica
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
460 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Drive from JW Marriott Santa Cruz to Arenal???

Yes - but the JW Marriott is only 10-15 minutes from Tamarindo airport.

Even though you have to stop on the way, I love to take flights in Costa Rica - you get to see the mountains and volcanoes in a different way; you also get to see more. Each flight is 30 minutes tops.

Just my five cents!

Mentioned in this post
Tamarindo
Tamarindo
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America