We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is with all the negative reviews this month?

Waterloo, Canada
6 posts
Save Topic
What is with all the negative reviews this month?

After reading the reviews from last month, it is obvious that something is really wrong there.... Does anyone know if they have changed management lately? I'm getting a little worried about my upcoming stay...

Avellanas Surf School
Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing
Seafari Costa Rica
Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Nowhere
Destination Expert
for Playa Samara
Level Contributor
4,043 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is with all the negative reviews this month?

You forgot to specify which hotel or area you are asking about...

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
12,945 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is with all the negative reviews this month?

No worries GC

Lots of spammers/trolls posting the same spam 20-40 X

attacking the forum with multiple trivial posts

about petty theft which is a risk everywhere

www.insuremytrip.com

www.travel.state.gov CR for a heads up on safety

Simply comply and odds are great you will have a wonderful time.

Go a lot overall CR is very safe better than many areas of the US I know.

Relax have fun,

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,653 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is with all the negative reviews this month?

Some world traveller that lost a bag full of peanuts ...that expected the whole country of Costa Rica stops to find his or her bag...

About 10 years ago...a costarican tourist was kill in Miami by a thieve...I talked to her sister not long ago...the Miami Police Dpt still have no idea who did it...that is a crime...but we still going to Miami and love it and respect it...

roadadvisor

Waterloo, Canada
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: What is with all the negative reviews this month?

Sorry forgot to say we are staying at the RIU

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,653 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What is with all the negative reviews this month?

Honestly I have not heard any more problems lately...so far so good!

roadadvisor

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
7,994 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What is with all the negative reviews this month?

They seemed to be having some issues with theft at the hotel when they first opened. Apparently after pressure from the home office they have been working hard to fix the problem and as far as I know have not heard anything about it in quite some time.

On a personal note when they built that place they ignored environmental rules, cut down protected Mangrove habitats, and have generally been IMO working without the good of Costa Rica in mind in any way shape or form, you couldn't pay me stay there.

Try the Paradisus Playa Conchal instead, nicer property, nicer experience, and you won't be supporting a place that only cares about money and not the beautiful country that Costa Rica is. Anyway, thats my opinion, sorry to get political but big hotels who take advantage of, and pay off people to look the other way, rubs me wrong.

Cheers

Inca

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,653 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What is with all the negative reviews this month?

INCA is totally correct...RIU and Barcelo hotels among others...they broke most of the rules to make money..

It is sad but in Matapalo beach where RIU hotel is located...the population of monkeys went down...since the company allowed foreign workers to kill the monkeys... sad or what!

roadadvisor

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
19 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What is with all the negative reviews this month?

I just stayed at the Riu a few weeks ago and had no problem during my stay there. It is a nice resort. However, I did not know about all the environmental issues with the building the resort until our one tour guide told us about it. If I had known it ahead of time, I may not have stayed there. Now I just try to look at it as the damage is already done so there is nothing to do but to support the many Ticos working at the resort.

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
7,994 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What is with all the negative reviews this month?

That is a good way to look at it Kiwi, and honestly most people don't know about the problems hotels like the RIU and others have caused unless you live here.

Costa Rica was built on the message of Eco Tourism but some of the larger chains just have dollar signs for eyes.

It is sad because you can build beautiful, upscale properties and have the environment in mind. Look at Si Como No in Manuel Antonio, or even better Lapa Rios down in Osa, it is one of the nicest hotels in the world and is green as green can be.

Waterloo, Canada
6 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: What is with all the negative reviews this month?

Thanks for the information... I read about terrible things that happened to the sea turtles.. Actually saw a video posted on YouTube.... I had already booked so I can't change the destination... Have also booked excursions with Costa Rica for Everyone.... I have heard great things about this company and the way they do business....

Salud