We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is there any high end shopping in area near Riu?

Which Santa Cruz hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
101 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Is there any high end shopping in area near Riu?

We will be staying at the Riu from March 19-26 and would like to do some shopping if available, we will have a car and would drive up to 1.5 hours. Really interested in watches and gold jewelry. Your advice would be appreciated

Punta Uva, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is there any high end shopping in area near Riu?

Wait till you get back home to buy high end stuff. There are places near San Jose, but you'll be paying much more than you would back in NC.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,110 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is there any high end shopping in area near Riu?

No high end shopping around RIU...some expensive boutiques at Four Seasons...that maybe one of the few options...sorry!

roadadvisor

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
Level Contributor
3,965 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is there any high end shopping in area near Riu?

CR is not like many of the Caribbean islands with shopping. They really don't cater to high end shopping or the jewlery tourist shopper either. I can see that happening soon once CR realizes that many tourist like to buy high end jewlery to remember a trip.

Boston...
Level Contributor
80 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is there any high end shopping in area near Riu?

If you do your research, you can get some really unique crafts to take home. La fortuna has a lot of wood sculturers, while the Chortega indians have their history rooted around the RIU area. A lot of 'indigenous' crafts sold are probably made in China, so you do want to look online to find someone well known. If you want gold and jewelry, go to Golfito or Colon in Panama (free trade zones). You can get a nice surf board in guanacaste, but thats about it. Though tamarindo does have some nicer boutiques, mainly for clothing and swimwear.

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
101 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is there any high end shopping in area near Riu?

Some people buy t-shirts; I am a watch guy. I have one for each of the 14 islands we have visited in the caribbean, will CR be the destination where I can not find a Rolex, Omega or Breitling to remember my trip with? Panama seems like a long drive from Guanacaste.

Punta Uva, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is there any high end shopping in area near Riu?

Plenty of Rolex, Omega around for only $5. Sometimes they even keep time.

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
Level Contributor
3,965 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is there any high end shopping in area near Riu?

Maybe a nice watch carved out of all the different types of trees you can find in CR instead of that cutting board.

Nowhere
Destination Expert
for Playa Samara
Level Contributor
3,959 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is there any high end shopping in area near Riu?

I cannot think of a single location in Guanacaste where you would be able to purchase a high-end watch (I don't know what the Four Seasons offers in that respect). Your only option would be to head to Escazu (close to San Jose) - it won't be difficult to find a nice watch there. Perhaps you could take a trip to the San Jose area and check out some of the sights there while combining the sight-seeing trip with a stop at a jewelry store.

As others have said, CR is not like the Caribbean islands and it has traditionally catered to a different type of tourist - hence the lack of this type of shopping.

Edited: 8:40 pm, March 04, 2010
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
87 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is there any high end shopping in area near Riu?

The only thing close to a high end watch or jewelry would be a beautiful hand made wood jewelry box. Why don't you buy a jewelry box to hold all of those watches that you've bought over the years in the Carribean.

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
Level Contributor
3,965 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is there any high end shopping in area near Riu?

That is a really good idea. Many of the things made of wood in CR are beautiful and unique.