We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo traveler to Guanacaste

Which Santa Cruz hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Solo traveler to Guanacaste

Hi, I'm leaving 2/23 for a one week trip. I'll be traveling solo since its a last minute trip and a treat to myself before I start a new job. Friends and boyfriend are all working.

I like active and relaxing vacations. I was hoping to spend a week away with fun, sun, hiking, rafting and wildlife viewing. I like quality hotels, but do not need 5 stars and the top end. I like fine dining, but I eat pretty healthy and don't drink much - especially if I'm alone while traveling. I also enjoy getting into towns and having a variety of places to visit. I can hang on the beach for a few hours but not day after day.

I have initially booked a trip at the Riu, but I'm wondering if it is too isolated and now there have been some question about management and theft. Can somone suggest a different hotel and perhaps located where I can get around without having to pay for an expensive ($25+ one way) taxi ride? I'm starting to here the Tamarindo area is convenient.

Thanks for your help.

I

Tamarindo, Costa...
Level Contributor
1,781 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Solo traveler to Guanacaste

Just saw a video on how the RIU is trying to block all the access routes to the Matapalo beach, even though all the beaches in Costa Rica belong only to the people, how their beach chairs are now sitting right over where the turtles used to lay their egg, and list of other selfish, stupid thngs. Left a very bad taste in my mouth.

While I know its very hard to construct a large hotel right on the beach without damaging something, it doesn't seem they don't care one bit about the neighborhood or the environment.

They don't need to continue to do things this way. For example, the Paradisus Conchal in Guanacaste is very large all-inclusive hotel built on the beach, but they respect the beach area and locals. They are allow to keep their beach and even drive up to it.

Back to Tamarindo... If you stay in Tamarindo you can walk anywhere and don't need to take a taxi. And, the restaurants are a major attraction, along with a full complement of beach activities. To help you get started here a place where you can see an orientation to the area. Looking forward to your questions:

tamarindocosta-rica.com/tamarindo-costa-rica…

Edited: 12:04 pm, February 14, 2010
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Solo traveler to Guanacaste

Thank you for your quick response. I have a friend who is staying at the Conchal right now with her 10 year old daughter. I'm not in communication with her now, but will be eager to here her thoughts.

I'm now thinking I will probably switch and stay at teh Cochal for 4 nights and then maybe head to Tamarindo or head over to Avenal Volcano. I depart at 8 a.m. out of Liberia for a flight to the US so it may be better to just stay out in Guancaste area the entire time and day trip to the volcano.

The Rui is affordable, but some of the theft problems make me feel a little uncomfortable.

Do you think there is enough to do in Tamarindo so I can stay 4 nights at P Conchal and then 3 in Tamarindo. I like the sound of Hotel Arco Iris. It sounds small, but quaint.

Tamarindo, Costa...
Level Contributor
1,781 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Solo traveler to Guanacaste

Tamarindo is a town with a full-complement of beach activities. Arco Iris is a nice place with a first-class restaurant (Seasons). It would be a big change from staying at the Paradisus Conchal; like you said it is quaint. Also, it is within easy walking distance to most everything in Tamarindo, yet a little out of the way.

Nowhere
Destination Expert
for Playa Samara
Level Contributor
3,932 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Solo traveler to Guanacaste

Sponger - I'd be interested in seeing that video. Do you have a link?

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,011 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Solo traveler to Guanacaste

Me tooo I will love to see the video...I have been very supporting to RIU but I will not support them if they are trying toblock the entrance to Matapalo to us COSTARICANS...odr anybody else...

Styaying at Paradisus Playa Cochal any number of nigths is always nice...to visit Arenal is better a overnight trip...around $ 500.00 per person...including transfers from Conchal and back...and hotel and Hot Springs entrance fee in Arenal...and breakfast...many companies will sell that tour for you!

roadadvisor

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
12,945 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Solo traveler to Guanacaste

www.hotelcapitansuizo.com my fav

www.tamarindo.com

right on the beach plenty to do solo.

AIs pretty isolated ok if you want to beach eat and drink

NJ
Level Contributor
16 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Solo traveler to Guanacaste

If u look at recent reviews of the RIU,the theft issues and other small issues are no longer a problem.Im going in MARCH and Im not worried at all.Dont let old reviews scare u....I check them daily!LOL!...and i feel very confident in spending a week there.I also booked some tours,Nicaragua day trip and the zip line trip.Im spending my birthday there and i want to have a fantastic time with my best friend!.... im sure Riu had worked out their kinks(Like ALL new hotels usully have to do)

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,011 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Solo traveler to Guanacaste

I like the way you think...pradamommy! Thank you for bringing some positive issues !

roadadvisor

Guanacaste, Costa...
5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Solo traveler to Guanacaste

Yes Pradamommy is correct theft is really not an issue, in fact I was just at the Hotel Riu myself and had no such problems, just the opposite. While I was there I booked some great day tours with Tony's tours right on the beach and had a spectacular time. My boyfriend decided we should start with a horse back ride on the beach which was spectacular. We booked an ATV tour which offered 2 hours of riding and 2 hours on the zip line and back to the beach and booked a fishing trip the following day. I wish I could post pictures, we had a great time and I would recommend both the hotel and Tony's tours for all your tour needs. He's english is fluent and his contact information is tonystourscr@hotmail.com. (Thank you for a great week Tony)

Guanacaste, Costa...
5 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Solo traveler to Guanacaste

Yes Pradamommy is correct theft is really not an issue, in fact I was just at the Hotel Riu myself and had no such problems, just the opposite. While I was there I booked some great day tours with Tony's tours right on the beach and had a spectacular time. My boyfriend decided we should start with a horse back ride on the beach which was spectacular. We booked an ATV tour which offered 2 hours of riding and 2 hours on the zip line and back to the beach and booked a fishing trip the following day. I wish I could post pictures, we had a great time and I would recommend both the hotel and Tony's tours for all your tour needs. He's english is fluent and his contact information is tonystourscr@hotmail.com. (Thank you for a great week Tony)