We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Theft at Riu Guanacaste

Which Santa Cruz hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
wigan uk
Level Contributor
718 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Theft at Riu Guanacaste

I have been reading reviews of the Riu hotel and the latest one has mentioned Theft - from the pool and also the hotel room safe. Has anyone else experienced this??? This is very worrying.

The reviewer said things were stolen from around the pool - cameras and money - although not really sure why you would need money round the pool at an all inclusive. She was also saying that people were complaining about safe thefts and that she had money taken from her safe daily.

Anyone know anything

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
131. Re: Theft at Riu Guanacaste

berymite: if you check again, you will see that most of the responses by people who live in Costa Rica, me, roadadvisor, incabod were pretty sympathetic. You have to realize that as Destination Experts (sounds a lot more important than it is) we read complaints all the time. Someone came to Costa Rica, had a bad thing happen to them and now want everyone to stay away from whatever company caused it. So we try to look into it a little more and try to be objective a little bit. Sometimes it is valid - as in this case - and sometimes it is just a "rant" - as in the case of the person who advised not to use a certain car rental company because he got "ripped off" by having to pay extra insurance. This insurance he paid is mandatory by law in Costa Rica so he didn't get "ripped off." See what I mean?

Anyway, this has been an excellent discussion - 130 posts wow. It's too bad that the RIU still has theft problems and problems with the manager brushing off complaints. I hope that they will take care of this soon.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
52 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
132. Re: Theft at Riu Guanacaste

To be fair Hattie, I didnt mean you. Your responses were sympathetic and very helpful. I was responding to the one advisor who was very critical. And I believe it was already pointed out during this thread.

But to reiterate, everyone should be able to post a review, without fear of being critcized or accused of being a liar.

Toronto
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
133. Re: Theft at Riu Guanacaste

Hi Hattie- The reason I was considering the AI when travelling with 3 teens/young adults is that they can eat and drink a lot!! With the AI I have my budget set (other than excursions etc). And it allows them (and us) to not have to carry cash with them. Other than that I prefer non all-inclusives and if it was just myself and husband (or even my younger daughter) would probably not even consider an AI again

Edited: 9:24 am, July 17, 2010
Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
134. Re: Theft at Riu Guanacaste

So what you are saying is that you prefer using an AI when traveling with your kids because all food is included in the price.

Well, it certainly makes things easier for you but it is certainly possible to eat A LOT in Costa Rica at a reasonable price. If you visit a soda - the name for a Costa Rican restaurant that serves typical food - you can get a HUGE meal inexpensively. A typical meal known as a "casado" would involved six items: rice, beans, salad, some kind of meat and then "cook's option" for the remaining two which might be a fresh avocado, plantains, cheese or something else. It is served on a platter and costs about $4-$6. Having raised two sons, I do know what you mean about their capacity for food. It's amazing!

As for carrying cash - there are ATM's everywhere and you can easily get just enough cash for a few days.

I do understand your reasoning and thanks for replying - it gives me a better understanding. I am concluding that staying at an AI is just easier and for a relaxing vacation, perhaps this is just what you want. Maybe the next time you come, you will feel more confident about Costa Rica and do something different. If I didn't say this before - you can Google All Inclusive Costa Rica and get a good list of AI's.

135. Re: Theft at Riu Guanacaste

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, January 14, 2011