We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Samara things to be careful of?

Which Playa Samara hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Owosso, Michigan
1 post
Save Topic
Samara things to be careful of?

My two young adult sons are going to spend about three months in Samaara, Costa Rica. We know very little about the town, and CR in general. Are there things to look out for? Are there things not to leave without doing?

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
122 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Samara things to be careful of?

Hi @CanaTico, thanks your for your reply! I do know the difference between Costa Rica and Mexico, thank you. Lol. Here's the link to the article from Lonely Planet. lonelyplanet.com/costa-rica/…health A simple Google search would have brought up this article and many others, if you are still interested in the source of this advice.

Here are more links about food and water safety in Costa Rica:

…cdc.gov/travel/…stay-healthy-and-safe

*The CDC I think would be the most reliable source, and it echos everything else I've said and specifically says not to drink tap water, ONLY bottled water or disinfected water.

frommers.com/destinations/costa-rica/735898

mdtravelhealth.com/destinations/…5

Honestly, I don't really need to convince Costa Ricans to be careful with their own food or water, so I don't need to keep commenting on this thread or defending the advice of other travel experts.

But I'll end with this blurb for the poster, Martin from Michigan. Your sons will have an incredible time in Playa Samara, as I did. In fact, I loved it so much that I used a picture from there as my profile picture; don't think that, by defending a piece of common travel advice about food and water, I had a bad experience in Costa Rica or that travelers need to be afraid. Your sons will inevitably make their own decisions about what dietary precautions to take, whether they listen to locals or listen to travel guides.

However, from one American to another, I think they should try to stick to what the travel guides say just to be safe, at least as long as they are able to. I made the mistake of following the advice of a local instead of the advice of my several travel guides, and paid for it. But the slim possibility of getting sick should by no means worry them or deter them from exploring the country. It's a normal thing to have to be more aware about dietary issues when traveling to a lot of other countries, so it's not a big deal at all. I know they'll have a great time, regardless of which side of the argument they end up following. If they do their research and make an educated decision (and not just trust the Costa Ricans defending their water quality), they will be fine.

Canada
Level Contributor
3,780 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Samara things to be careful of?

Copy and Paste from your very first link

Water

"It is generally safe to drink the tap water everywhere in Costa Rica, other than in the most rural and undeveloped parts of the country"

I heven't gotten to the rest yet but I will. By the way, I am not Costa Rican - I have just been there many many times, always drink tap water, and have never had a problem.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
122 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Samara things to be careful of?

Also from the first link:

Traveler’s diarrhea

To prevent diarrhea, you should avoid tap water unless it has been boiled, filtered or chemically disinfected (iodine tablets); only eat fresh fruits or vegetables if cooked or peeled; be wary of dairy products that might contain unpasteurized milk; and be highly selective when eating food from street vendors.

Read more: lonelyplanet.com/costa-rica/…ixzz2ueUYb8RR

24. Re: Samara things to be careful of?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, March 02, 2015