We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Samara things to be careful of?

Owosso, Michigan
1 post
Save Topic
Samara things to be careful of?

My two young adult sons are going to spend about three months in Samaara, Costa Rica. We know very little about the town, and CR in general. Are there things to look out for? Are there things not to leave without doing?

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Samara things to be careful of?

There is nothing particularly about Samara to be "careful of." It's just that they will need some good common sense -- the same things you would not do at home as far as going to bars, inviting people to your room, etc. It's a good idea to be careful with "stuff" - especially electronics and phones - and put them away when not at their lodging and not leave them out on a table for the whole world to see. There are ATM's so no need to carry a lot of cash.

For more information about Samara: www.samarabeach.com or www.nicoyapeninsula.com or www.samarainfocenter.com The folks at Samara Info Center are very helpful and can answer any very specific questions.

Nowhere
Destination Expert
for Playa Samara
Level Contributor
4,080 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Samara things to be careful of?

The ONLY thing I would be really careful of is an unwanted pregnancy!

I know it sounds a bit crazy and "out there," but having lived in Samara for many, many years, there is one thing one sees over and over and over again: Tourists staying for a few months who end up with a pregnancy. Either it's a male tourist who finds a lovely Tica who, somehow, ends up pregnant or, more frequently, female tourists who meet a wonderful surfer dude who, somehow, manages to get the girl pregnant.

For some reason, some people forget to use common sense while in Costa Rica. That seemingly "rich" Gringo or Gringa can appear to be a tempting ticket to a different life for some who live in not so fortunate circumstances.

One guy who I've know for years once said to me that his goal was to have a kid from a girl from each continent... (I don't think he took Antarctica into account.) He doesn't care - given that he doesn't have a dime to his name. He's certainly not paying any child support.

Other than that, there's not much in terms of danger unless one does really, really dumb stuff - like getting high and getting involved with some of the local drug dealers.

Liberia, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
52 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Samara things to be careful of?

Aha! So that's how I ended up pregnant! I should've gone to Tamarindo... ;)

guanacaste
Level Contributor
3,094 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Samara things to be careful of?

Tell them to spend a couple of days in the Rincon de la Vieja Volcano area. Lots of waterfalls, volcanic activity , forest, nature and lots of things to do.

Samara is a nice place and there are nice beach areas that can be explored from Samara.

Samara
Level Contributor
911 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Samara things to be careful of?

As frantonian said "For some reason, some people forget to use common sense while in Costa Rica" and it is very true. I think people lose themselves in this little paradise and forget that like anywhere else, there are opportunists.

Have fun!

Punta Uva, Costa...
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Samara things to be careful of?

Watch out for sun!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,062 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Samara things to be careful of?

Framptonian...LOL... I'm sure you being sincere but I have to admit I got a shock and quite the giggle out of this post.

Nowhere
Destination Expert
for Playa Samara
Level Contributor
4,080 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Samara things to be careful of?

lesab - of course. For years, I've witnessed the same scene over and over and over again:

It's early in the morning and the Alfaro bus leaves for the airport. A nice-looking surfer brings his girlfriend to the bus, lots of tears are being shed, devotion to each other is pronounced, and it's all around a lot of heartbreak.

Come the next day, I see the same surfer dude with another girl. When it's time for her to leave, the same bus scene repeats.

It's amazing to see but it happens in just about every vacation town - whether it's CR or Spain or Thailand.

Once in a while, the girl gets pregnant - which is also something you get to witness if you spend enough years here.

Then you have doe-eyed men who fall for the first Tica they meet - they are so different from the women back home, you know?! I've known one guy who bought a home and who had a lovely girlfriend rather quickly. She moved in, called the police, claimed that he had hit her, the cops made him leave his home (yes, thus is the law), she had her mother and a brother move in, and it was a legal battle for years. Last I knew, she still has the home and he has returned back to the states.

I know, I'm jaded. It's an age thing.

Hence my advice. It's one of the only real dangers around: Loss of common sense and an unfaltering belief in the good intentions of everybody - no matter what.

Edited: 10:56 am, January 29, 2014
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,062 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Samara things to be careful of?

I've witnessed that whole scene in other countries...quite common in Cuba. First time I heard it here. But as you said....surfer dudes.

I'll be careful...LOL... I'm going down with the only man in this world that I have eyes for.... my 9 year old grandson.

Edited: 11:07 am, January 29, 2014
Nowhere
Destination Expert
for Playa Samara
Level Contributor
4,080 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Samara things to be careful of?

I'm sure he'll be fine. Now, you, on the other hand...

Nah, just kidding. Have fun - it's a great place.