We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Samara

Which Playa Samara hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
california
Level Contributor
111 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Samara

Hi, we are arriving in Puerto Caldera on a cruise in December. We want to head to Samara. Any suggestions for transportation? We would like to rent a car for the week but haven't found any options yet. Thanks

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
46 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Samara

The bridge I use is the friendship bridge...modern and perfect

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
Level Contributor
3,964 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Samara

I apoligize JJ that some people are getting all worked up on this forum on your post.

People have different ways they like to travel and it benifits us all when you can hear different opinions and make your own decision on the way you would like to travel. As the saying goes, There is more then one way to skin a cat. Hopefully the great bridge debate of August 2012 can be over now and we can get back to JJs OP.bbbbb

If it was me I would get a private driver and enjoy the ride, but many do prefer to have their own car.

Edited: 8:38 pm, August 11, 2012
Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
Level Contributor
3,964 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Samara

Please ignore the bbbbs :) My keyboard does that sometimes and I hit submit without noticing. The bs didn't mean anything, at least I don't think they mean anything. I will have to ask my teenager.

Edited: 8:40 pm, August 11, 2012
Canada
Level Contributor
3,773 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Samara

Just for the record - Taiwan built the bridge - not China - and it is in great shape.

california
Level Contributor
111 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Samara

Funny I have never stirred up such debate. I also get good advice here. Just booked a car with Vamos. They will bring the car to us in Puerto Caldera. Thanks everyone!

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
Level Contributor
3,964 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Samara

LOL, just think how much you will know about this bridge jj when you cross over it. I would bet $5 you will remember this thread when you cross the NOT Chinese bridge. CanaTico is correct, Taiwan built this bridge which is not the same thing as China. You will have so much trivia to share with your car passengers:) I actually saw it for the first time this June, before that I had always taken the ferry. Here is a link to more info about this infamous bridge. Now you can go all out :)

http://samarabeach.com/bridge.htm

california
Level Contributor
111 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Samara

Thanks so much . Now we have to take the bridge and check it out. Lol we could take the ferry back just to compare and settle the debate.

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
Level Contributor
3,964 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Samara

LOL, yes do that jj that would be perfect :)

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,017 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Samara

Please do it AMISTAD bridge is a great way to get to Samara...in your case maybe the best way!

Let us all know about your VAMOS adventure rent a car...

Not a debate...just some people that hate our roads...our brdiges...our tunnels...they always putting down our country...looking for 3 seconds of fame...if they hate our country they can go back where ever they come from!

Lets all enjoy our great country and do not pay attention to some ugly opinions without reason!

roadadvisor

Edited: 11:16 pm, August 11, 2012
guanacaste
Level Contributor
3,091 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Samara

For Samara , the most recommended route is going through La Amistad Bridge. Bridge is ok, and so is the road. Take the ferry only if you plan to go to Tambor or Montezuma. Here is a map of the recommended route http://samarabeach.com/images/area1.jpg