We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for Specific Directions to Samara

Which Playa Samara hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
15 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for Specific Directions to Samara

Good Day! I wouldnt doubt this question has been answered in prior forums but I am having trouble finding those posts. Im going to be heading down to CR in a couple weeks and my first task will be driving from SJO to Samara. I wont have a GPS so I want to be sure I have specific directions. I have read a few times about how road signs are not reliable and needless to say im a little concerned.

If any one has a link to specific directions or if anyone can confirm that the directions on google maps is accurate that would be great! Thanks much and I cant wait to spent some quality time down there in Samara.

Hamilton canada
Level Contributor
8 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for Specific Directions to Samara

I've been using this interactive map to find routes and distances in CR.

www.yourtravelmap.com

When I go down there though this winter, my rental car comes with a GPS. Last time I drove on the Nicoya peninsula, my wife and I were totally lost. Eventually, hitchhikers got us to our destination.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,110 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for Specific Directions to Samara

Dear Rockstarbob

Nice question ...sorry I´m not good offering links...I based my driving advice based on my 45 years driving around my country!

The best simple way...get the car and drive toward San Jose...you will see La Sabana is huge park at your right...the NISSAN dealer at your right as well..keep going one light...second light at your right is the National Gymn nice size round Gym..at that light make a right...NOW you are in 27th...drive all the way for about 1 hour..drive by Caldera port...keep going until the road...gets into a foced right...go around...now you are in Pan Am Hwy number 1...drive all the way until you see AMISTAD BRIDGE...Friendship Bridge...is in Limonal...make a left...drive all the way to the other side make a right and take the road to Nicoya...once in Nicoya...just follow signs to Samara...about 1 hour...great road all the way!

WELCOME to Samara!

Roadadvisor

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for Specific Directions to Samara

From your rental car company, get on Rt 1, the PanAmerican Highway going north.

Follow this all the way to the community (wide place in the road) of Limonal. You will see signs for "Nicoya" or "Friendship Bridge" or "Puente Amistad." There is a bank on your right, a couple of restaurants and a large gas station - it has been Shell but might be different now.

Turn left here to go over the bridge and on to Nicoya.

There is a great restaurant on this corner - Las Tres Hermanas - the one with the big bull in front. Stop here for a meal or snack - you won't be sorry!

The highway then goes through the "flats" - long stretches of flat, straight road.

When you reach the town of Nicoya, you will encounter a one-way street situation and so will need to turn right and kind of skirt the downtown. There are signs as far as I can remember.

Once you leave Nicoya, you will start to climb a bit and go through a mountainous area. "Over the mountain," you will head down to Samara.

It's an easy and pleasant drive, all in all, if a bit long.

Oops! I guess roadadvisor and I were writing at the same time!

Edited: 1:05 pm, November 04, 2011
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
15 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for Specific Directions to Samara

Thank you guys for the quick replies! This doesent sound like it will be too difficult expecially with your excellent directions.

Other than Las Tres Hermanas is there any other sites/stops that are worth a break along the way? Maybe somewhere we can spot some special wildlife, crocodiles, views, etc... :)

Muchas Gracias!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,110 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for Specific Directions to Samara

Dear Rockstarbob.

You are WELCOME!!!

If you have time...take the detour into Palo Verde National Park...crocs...Iguanas...monkies...tons of birds!

roadadvisor

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for Specific Directions to Samara

Another "detour" would be to Hojancha for Monte Alto http://www.nicoyapeninsula.com/montealto/

Only 20 min from Nicoya.

Playa Guiones...
Destination Expert
for Nosara
Level Contributor
2,085 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for Specific Directions to Samara

Just wanted to add....after crossing the big bridge, you will travel a few more minutes (maybe 30 minutes?) the road will come to an intersection. At this point, you turn right. Go another 15 or 20 minutes then look for the sign for Nicoya, you'll be making a left there.

Just an FYI, there is no longer a detour in Nicoya. Just stay on the same road all the way through town. If you are renting a house or someplace with a kitchen, or just want some munchies, it would be good to stop in at the Super Compro (on the main road) in Nicoya. Things will be cheaper here and you'll have a larger selection.

After going through Nicoya, maybe another 10-15 minutes, there will be another intersection. You will make a right there. Then just stay on the main road all the way into Samara!

If you're thirsty, stop at Bar Roca. They have a beautiful valley view from there. Would make a nice picture.

Enjoy your stay in Samara!

Playa Samara, Costa...
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for Specific Directions to Samara

Hi Rockstarbob,

have a look at http://samarabeach.com/getting.htm you will find information about how to get there driving from San Jose.

Safe journey!

Playa Guiones...
Destination Expert
for Nosara
Level Contributor
2,085 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Looking for Specific Directions to Samara

ginger, that is a great web site for Samara, but the driving directions are not very detailed! Not nearly as detailed as we are on this thread!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
15 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Looking for Specific Directions to Samara

My road trip after my long flight is shaping up nicely! Thanks for the tip about the super compro in nicoya allylam.

Not to beat a dead horse but looking at the route suggested on google maps, it has me taking highway 1 north after leaving the airport for a few kilometers before then going left onto highway 3 @ the Cruce de Manalos (after passing lote) which takes a bit more direct route and connects back to highway 1. Is this a valid route, or should I avoid highway 3 because its older and more difficult to pass?