We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My wife is in panic!! I want to drive to Santa Terasa

Phoenix, Arizona
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
My wife is in panic!! I want to drive to Santa Terasa

Help, my wife is in panic!! I want to drive from Samara to Santa Teresa late this month. I will not have a 4x4, but I have extensive experience driving off road. I say we give it a shot; we have no schedule so if it looks bad we turn around and find the nearest bar and regroup. Do I tell her to chill out or do I come up with an other route?

Arizona
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My wife is in panic!! I want to drive to Santa Terasa

Anyone know what the road is like between Samara and Santa Teresa? Would it be safe during the rainy season? I am the wife in a panic

Santa Teresa, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Mal Pais, Santa Teresa
Level Contributor
1,761 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My wife is in panic!! I want to drive to Santa Terasa

Sparkys....if you don't have a 4x4, I wouldn't attempt it, not at this time of the year! The road is fine, it's the river crossings that are the concern. At the driest part of the year, you could cross the rivers without 4x4 and sometimes even that is a sketchy move. It has been raining pretty good for the past month and the rain has come early, the rivers are higher than they are during the height of the dry season....you will not make it. Your wife is right. If you want an adventure, rent a 4x4 and get a good map and stop for directions from the locals. If the locals tell you not to attempt a river crossing, listen to them. If you are renting a car, read the fine print....you are responsible for the car if you lose it in a river or the ocean (if you drive it on the beach). That could be a very costly vacation and you bought yourself a car that is totally worthless.

Punta Uva, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: My wife is in panic!! I want to drive to Santa Terasa

Wefish is correct on the crossing river voids you insurance, you'll be responsible for the whole damage. If you want to drive to Santa Teresa take the safe route.

Phoenix, Arizona
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: My wife is in panic!! I want to drive to Santa Terasa

Wife 2 husband 0. This doesn't look good for my side.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,303 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: My wife is in panic!! I want to drive to Santa Terasa

Wife 3 husband 0...is not good idea to drive that section of the road during rainy season...fun...but maybe with some other cars...

roadadvisor

Oak Hill, VA
Level Contributor
53 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: My wife is in panic!! I want to drive to Santa Terasa

Wife 4 Husband 0

I drove to Santa Teresa via both routes. Even the safe route seemed difficult in a car. We had a 4x4 and it definatly helped. The back road leaving from Cabo Blanco never would have been possible w/o a 4x4. While we were in Santa Teresa I do not recall anything other than 4x4 or those off road Honda ATVs. The place is wonderful and well worth the trip, but get a 4x4.

You can see pics of Santa Teresa at my site.

www.katharris.smugmug.com

Phoenix, Arizona
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: My wife is in panic!! I want to drive to Santa Terasa

Wife won! I was looking for the shortest route to the south part of the peninsula from Samara. I guess there is no easy way other than backtracking from Samara to Nicoya then head south. Thanks all.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,303 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: My wife is in panic!! I want to drive to Santa Terasa

Your are WELCOME...that sounds like in my house...she always win!

roadadvisor

Oak Hill, VA
Level Contributor
53 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: My wife is in panic!! I want to drive to Santa Terasa

Good luck. You will need a seat cushion. Enjoy Santa Teresa!

Montezuma, Costa...
Level Contributor
538 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: My wife is in panic!! I want to drive to Santa Terasa

LOL make it Wife 3 - Husband 0 (to husband - maybe she'll buy/make you a nice dinner as a consolation prize :)

If you want to make the trip - get a 4X4, and I agree with above, even then ask locally about river crossings, preferably with second opinions too.

My husband & I are both experienced off road (or rather muddy bad road with river crossing) drivers and at the moment we are not doing the river crossing in our neighbourhood even in 4x4. Without a 4x4 it is kind of unthinkable.