We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First timers

Which Playa Samara hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Oregon
Level Contributor
96 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
First timers

Here's the plan in the head right at this moment:

Land in Liberia

THINK we want to end up in Samara

Have 14 days

We love less touristy but still want comfy beds, a/c but hate all inclusives. Would love to find a locally owned clean place that likes Americans (we are so not rude so easily liked). :D

Is Samara really a town that folks live in? Are there other towns where it's more local feel? We are yet to find such a place. :(

We are not needing of any zippity do da lines, or heavy athletic water sports.. we just want to meander, enjoy the area(s), take it all in, heck it would be nice to find a place to retire.

We also love history and art and the beach of course. We are seriously considering Xmas time. What would you suggest?

Thanks everyone in advance!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,110 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First timers

Believe it or not...Costa Rica may be the country in America continent that Americans are loved...

I love the fact...that Costa Rica is the only Latin American country than never ever a Costarican citizen hss been kill in our soil by an USA soldier!

I like your itinerary...and idea...

Samara is nice area...very nice...

Also maybe Arenal Volcano Area for a few days! A lot to do...

roadadvisor

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First timers

Samara is a very laid-back beach town where locals do live. Many choices of lodging with comfy beds and A/C or just ceiling fans. I stayed in a place that just had ceiling fans but perhaps I am more used to the heat and it was not a problem. At the beach, it can get very hot and humid so A/C is nice to cool off and sleep well.

As roadadvisor said, Americans - and let's be accurate here - North Americans (for Costa Ricans are Americans, too) are welcome in Costa Rica - no problem there.

There are many many non-touristy, non-zipline things to do in Costa Rica. Here are some websites to check:

www.samarabeach.com

www.ruraltourism.com

www.arenal.net

www.costarica-nationalparks.com

www.tortuguerovillage.com

Christmas is a good time to be in Costa Rica - but it is busy. Once you make your decisions, make your reservations for lodging. Tours or activities you can set up when you get here.

Oregon
Level Contributor
96 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First timers

Thank you for your responses.

I'm betting I can pull these items off while I am there?

Manuel Antonio National Park

cloud forest/Monteverde area,

volcano

On another idea: anyone know what Mal Pais is like as opposed to Samara.. as laid back? This is for folks that have been to both of course. I have this in the other forum also. I might post this as a new question but thought I would start here in case anyone knows.

Oregon
Level Contributor
96 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First timers

forget Mal Pais..

Getting back to things to do:

Would like to be mostly in Samara but would like to see the places I mentioned above.

In what order? Trying to get the lay of the land..

Would probably stay a night somewhere undoubtedly..

so a day here a day there.. that kind of thing.

Ending back in Samara then heading back to LIB.

Yes we would have car.. make much sense to have car for all?

Hope this is making sense.

Thanks for your patience.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First timers

Renting a car will give you the freedom to come and go as you please. If you are planning on spending only one day in each location, this is probably a mistake. The "grasshopper" vacation. It takes much longer than you would think to get from place to place. Figure out how much time you think it will take and then double it, basically. If you are just scouting for a place or places to come back to for a real vacation, fine.

For transportation, you might think in terms of using several modes of transportation. You can easily fly to some places, saving LOTS of time; take shared van shuttle to others, saving the hassle of driving; rent a car for part of the time so you can come and go and explore as you wish.

You can certainly do "volcano", Monteverde and Manuel Antonio but you should know that Arenal, Monteverde and Manuel Antonio are the most popular places in the country and may be described as touristy or full of tourists. Your call.

There are many, many places to go in Costa Rica that are not touristy and many many things to do. It's up to you.

Oregon
Level Contributor
96 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First timers

OK well we have 14 days coming from Liberia, want to settle in at Samara but would like to go visit sites.

Trying to figure out the order on which to do what when where.. ha!

Cannot afford to fly around in planes very much and we like just the 2 of us without tour buses either.. so that might balance the touristy places we end up visiting..

Open to suggestions?

Might go a different time so less folks too plus super expensive during Xmas.. so.. but want to be able to drive without fjording rivers.. :D

I have been out looking here and there are just so many options it's mind boggling.

toronto
Level Contributor
116 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First timers

Just a tip, make sure you clarify about the air conditioning. We rented a place that advertised Air Cond but it turned out that only the bedroom had a wall unit. Many of the newer homes do not have screens so you cannot leave the windows in the living area open at night without being inundated with bugs. It was very hot cooking in the kitchen in the evening.

If you plan to rent a car, rent it on line in advance, it is much cheaper than renting when you are there.

Oregon
Level Contributor
96 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First timers

Thanks on the car and the A/C info. :D

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First timers

Open to suggestions?

Have you checked out the list of websites I gave you?

Oregon
Level Contributor
96 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First timers

Yes I have checked on:

samarabeach.com (great site)

ruraltourism is not working link

arenal.net is where I wanted to go.

Just trying to figure out the actual lay of the area..

I'll get there.

I found a way to map the areas so I can see where I should go first and for how long..