We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Population of Samara?

Pleasanton...
Level Contributor
409 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Population of Samara?

I can't find anywhere that states what the population of Samara is. Does anyone know?

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,782 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Population of Samara?

Local people...people that lives there I will said no more than 2500...but in a busy weekend...my God...a lot!

roadadvisor

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Population of Samara?

According to one source, the population is 3076. It is definitely in the 2000-4000 range. A good source of information about Samara is

www.samarabeach.com

North Carolina
Level Contributor
532 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Population of Samara?

FYI, the town itself is mostly the hotels and restaurants (a few blocks by a few blocks) and I assume that population figures represent the 'greater Samara Area'. The town itself is pretty small.

Nowhere
Destination Expert
for Playa Samara
Level Contributor
4,047 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Population of Samara?

It can be tricky to determine the exact number of people living here for various reasons. For one, the last census was taken about ten years ago and the area has seen quite a bit of change in those ten years.

Also, Samara is part of the Municipality of Nicoya and the boundaries of what qualifies as "Samara" can be a bit blurred and vary by institution compiling or using those numbers. Some include Torrito, others don't. Some include, Cantarrana, others don't. Up in the hills is the town of Santo Domingo - which should be it's own little town but is occasionally included under the "Samara" name for various reasons (such as allotment of health-related expenses).

To make it even more difficult, there is a fairly large population of expats (who are different from those who own vacation homes here). Most of these expats don't show up in any "official" number but they certainly do live here.

As pvanraay has already pointed out, the town itself is made up mostly of businesses with a few residences interspersed. There's not much to it - just a few blocks of buildings that can be easily explored on foot.

People who work in Samara commute from surrounding areas (which may or may not be included in a count of residents) and sometimes even from Nicoya and farther.

in short, the number for the entire area should be anywhere between 2,500 and 3,500.in

Tamarindo, Costa...
Level Contributor
1,781 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Population of Samara?

I agree, it's tricky. How far do the borders extend? Do we count people who live here only 6-months? I make the local Phone Book for Tamarindo that lists 800 businesses. Many owners leave the country during low season? What time of year do we take a census? If we want to count the number of people in town at any given time, how do we do it? I think estimating a population in a touristic beach town is impossible and can only be expressed in relative terms.

6. Re: Population of Samara?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, August 08, 2010