We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public transportation

Which Playa Samara hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
tash0117
2 posts
Save Topic
Public transportation

Hi can anyone tell me if there is public transportation from Montezuma to Samara? I wasn't planning on renting a car but am interested in visiting both places. Thanks.

Nowhere
Destination Expert
for Playa Samara
Level Contributor
3,959 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Public transportation

Not really - the only public bus option involves going to Paquera, then to Puntarenas, then to Nicoya, and finally to Samara. It will take forever!

I am not aware of scheduled shuttles that go a more direct route, either.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,110 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Public transportation

Framptonian...is correct...and let me add...maybe the best option rent a car!

roadadvisor

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Public transportation

If you look at the map of the Nicoya Peninsula, you could say "Hmm, well that doesn't look too far between Montezuma and Samara, just zip down that coastal road." However, the roads are not good in the southern Nicoya Peninsula plus there isn't much call for bus service between the two even if the buses could pass reliably. So most people just take the ferry back to Puntarenas, go north and then turn left to go over the Friendship Bridge to the town of Nicoya and then to Samara.

Check buses to Puntarenas from Montezuma. Then from Puntarenas, you can get a bus north to Canas or Liberia and get off at the Friendship Bridge turnoff and get another bus to Nicoya and Samara. Actually, when you get to Puntarenas, you can get a taxi to the InterAmerican Highway and take any bus that says Canas, Liberia, Penas Blancas and get off at the turnoff or just take one that says Nicoya.

You can check your options and the schedule here:

www.thebusschedule.com

It is a hassle, granted, but will add a day of immersion in the Costa Rican culture to your adventure.

4. Re: Public transportation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, August 05, 2010