We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

buying supplies in Samara

Pleasanton...
Level Contributor
409 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
buying supplies in Samara

Are things like beach chairs, coolers, sand toys, etc readily available to purchase in Samara? If they are, how do the prices compare to the U.S.?

Pleasanton...
Level Contributor
409 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: buying supplies in Samara

thanks everyone.

How about food in Samara. Will I be able to find pasturized milk? Do the stores carry any "american" products - like cereal, mac n cheese, etc? Sliced sanwich bread? What kinds of cheese can I expect to find?

I would not need to know all this, but with 3 small kids I want to come prepared.

Thanks!

Nowhere
Destination Expert
for Playa Samara
Level Contributor
4,026 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: buying supplies in Samara

Yes, you will be fine in the food department. There is a surprising variety of food available, from Edamame to Miso to Tofu to fresh Mozzarella - and just about anything in between. Only problem is that supply is not reliable, meaning, you never know what is going to be available.

There are quite a few grocery stores in town - but they are all small and geared mostly to fill run-of-the-mill needs. SuperSamara is the best stocked of them.

The selection of cereals is small, though, and you are better off buying them in Nicoya or Liberia. You should also be aware that "American" products, such as many cereals, carry a hefty price tag. For a box of Kellogg's Raisin Bran Crunch, for example, you can expect to pay roughly US$8.

But your kids and you will probably embrace a good Tico breakfast in no time - beats cereal any time, is cheaper, healthier, and more nutritious.

Milk is readily available - no problem there.

You should be able to find a box of mac 'n cheese - I think I've seen it but I can't recall whether that was here or in Nicoya.

Lots of bread - packaged "American" style sandwich bread, freshly baked bread (three bakeries in town), there's even a German bakery truck that stops by once a week.

Cheese: Just about anything. Cheddar, Feta, Reggiano, fresh Mozza, Gran Padano, Gruyere, Emmenthal, Fontina, Cream cheese, etc.

There are fruit and veggie trucks, a fruit and veggie stand, various fish vendors (you can buy fish fresh off the boat, if you want), etc.

It's all small scale and will look significantly different than whatever you are likely used to up north. Don't be scared - they are all perfectly fine.

Please be aware that prices in Samara are usually higher than in Nicoya!

Edited: 12:43 am, January 29, 2010
Pleasanton...
Level Contributor
409 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: buying supplies in Samara

thanks again to everyone for all the GREAT information.

All my plans are coming together. I can't wait to get there! Only 3 more months!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,438 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: buying supplies in Samara

Samara is waiting for you guys!

roadadvisor

15. Re: buying supplies in Samara

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, August 29, 2010