We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Summer with the kids

Which Playa Samara hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Pleasanton...
Level Contributor
409 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Summer with the kids

It looks like it's really going to happen! I'm planning 6 weeks in Samara with my 3 kids - ages now are 2, 5 & 7. The older 2 are in a dual immersion spanish program at our local public school. I am hoping to enroll them in Samara's local school for the 6 weeks we are there. I think it will really help their spanish comprehension.

Anyone know anything about the school or have general tips for me? We won't be able to do tons of excursions because I need to stay in my budget. But we would like to do a few things. I would love suggestions.

Any kid-friendly restaurants, extra-curricular activities, ANYTHING, please send your ideas my way.

Oh, and we won't have a car.

Thanks!

Nowhere
Destination Expert
for Playa Samara
Level Contributor
3,959 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Summer with the kids

I am afraid you won't be able to enroll your children in the local public school for six weeks. Enrollment usually requires all transcripts, translated, and often certified by the Costa Rican consulate in your area. Additionally, the principal of the school here would need to agree, etc. There are a lot of hoops to jump through and even then, I would think that your chances for just six weeks are negligible.

Nonetheles, there are two private schools which might be able to accommodate you. One is run by a woman named Nicole. She is located in Cantarana, a short walk from Samara center. i don't have her contact information, though. It's called Samara Pacific School.

There is also an after-school program at Patio Colonial that might work for you. Again, I have no contact information but I am sure that a little bit more research will reveal some answers for you.

There are plenty of activities here that you can do with your children that don't cost an arm and a leg. Some are only known to locals and it won't hurt to ask around. There are hidden beaches and waterfalls. You might also be able to find somebody (not on the beach), who will make you a decent price for horseback riding. There are tide pools to explore, a small local zoo/animal shelter, etc.

All restaurants are kid-friendly - as is all of Costa Rica. You'll soon start to wonder why people back home do not have such beautiful reactions to your kids, let alone interactions with them.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,045 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Summer with the kids

If the private school does not work for you ...try the public school again...maybe talking with the principal...most of the time are nice people running those small schools...

I admire your idea...

roadadvisor

guanacaste
Level Contributor
3,091 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Summer with the kids

Rincon de la vieja for a Day or ovenight could be an option. Hire a mini van and share the cost among participants. The other option is to go by public transportation to Liberia and hotels there arrange for pick up etc.

Other places to visit, Palo Verde, Junquillal, Mal Pais Montezuma, Guatil for potery, a trip to Granada ( a bit more expensive ) is a nice option too.

Enrollment is school have some issues, talk to the spanish program people, they can help.

Pleasanton...
Level Contributor
409 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Summer with the kids

Thanks for the suggestions. As far as the school things goes, I suppose I will bring down transcripts and such, and just talk to people when I get down there.

Samara is such a small town I assumed there wouldn't be much in the way of "organized" after-school activities like classes and/or sports. Again, I guess I will see when I get there.

Keep the ideas coming!

Nowhere
Destination Expert
for Playa Samara
Level Contributor
3,959 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Summer with the kids

If you are interested, there are also schools in El Torito and Carrillo - in case the Samara option does not work out.

Pleasanton...
Level Contributor
409 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Summer with the kids

framptonian - what is patio colonial? An area? A street? A building?

7. Re: Summer with the kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, July 24, 2010