We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

parents with young kids going to Samara

Toronto
Level Contributor
51 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
parents with young kids going to Samara

My kids are 3 & 7. A few questions...

1 -Is there a park or playground in town? Somewhere where local kids play?

2 - Is there somewhere to buy, borrow or rent beach toys like shovels, pails, floaties?

3 - My kids don't like rice - love pasta and eat bread. How easy/hard will it be to feed them at the local food joints?

4 - And any thoughts about which of the lower-end accommodation options (Belvedere, Dos Aguas, Locanda,...) might be more kid-appropriate would be appreciated.

Thanks!

North Carolina
Level Contributor
532 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: parents with young kids going to Samara

My kids are 4, 6 & 9 and we have been there twice already - I have lots of advice and will send you a message directly.

1 - I don't know of a playground playset in the traditional sense in Samara, even the school does not have one. Was not an issue, nature seemed to substitute with enough to do.

2 - There are toys for sale in a couple of the grocery stores down by the beach (also suggested - body boards are for sale too, my kids loved them)

3 - Eating is easy for the kids. Most of the restaurants have pasta on the menu (a good variety too). Lots of pizza places too, lots of fresh fruit, french fries - you won't find "kids meals" but we always ordered several dishes and shared them.

The only lower end place I stayed at was Posada Matilori and it could work for kids - but it's pretty cramped, no pool. I stayed at Las Brisas del Pacifico and it would be good but the rooms are typical hotel rooms (not sure if you can connect 2 of them) - nice pool. I have a good friend that works at Hotel Giada (which has a pizza/pasta restaurant at the front) and it's decent and affordable - good pools too.

I would suggest renting a beach house with a pool or a hotel would work too - definitely get a pool. Our kids spent 1-2 hours a day in the ocean and 1-2 hours a day in the pool, everyday. You may be able to find a house with 2 bedrooms for about $100/night (the cost of a couple hotel rooms).

I will be there in about 10 days, I can also check out a couple places for you.

It's a great place for kids, the town and the surf. It's real Costa Rica too - your kids are just as likely to meet up with a Tico child as with a Canadian/American.

PVR

A nice place
Level Contributor
851 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: parents with young kids going to Samara

Hi momof2Toronto!

Samara is a excellent destination for holidays with kids! The Hotel Flying Crocodile offers a lot for kids: swimming pool, water slide, a trampolin, a playground... http://www.flying-crocodile.com

3. Re: parents with young kids going to Samara

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:18 pm, October 15, 2009