We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Playa Barrigona - accessible, swimmable, accommodations?

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
812 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Playa Barrigona - accessible, swimmable, accommodations?

Hi - I read on the Flying Crocodile website that Mel Gibson "bought" Playa Barrigona. Is this true? Can someone buy an entire beach in CR?

In any case, I'm just trying to find out:

1. is it still accessible to anyone?

2. is it a swimmable beach - or mostly for surfers?

3. are there nearby AFFORDABLE accommodations?

It looks stunning (from Google Earth) - and I'd love to visit it.

Thanks.

Playa Sámara
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Playa Barrigona - accessible, swimmable, accommodations?

1. Neither Mel Gibson nor any other person can "buy" property within the 200-meter maritime zone. This beach is, and will continue to be, accessible to EVERYONE.

2. It is swimmable, but there are often terrible rip tides. If you know how to maneuver them, go for it. If not, don't go swimming there. The water is crystal clear, waves popular with surfers, most of whom do (as all should) bring a trash bag with them when the visit to collect any flotsam or jetsam thrown up by the tide. (because NOBODY litters on this beach)

3. Check trip advisor. Stay in Sámara or Buena Vista. There are many affordable places.

P.S. It is one of the most precious, unspoiled beaches in the country, and it will never, ever, be closed. Mel Gibson bought Hacienda Dorada, and if he was told that he "bought" Playa Barrigona, he is due for a rude awakening.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
812 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Playa Barrigona - accessible, swimmable, accommodations?

Thank you for the response. I thought it sounded a bit fishy - so to speak - that it had been bought by a movie star.

I guess it's one of those beautiful and appealing yet potentially dangerous beaches. I'm not a rip tide fan or a surfer, so I think I'll stay close to shore if I go.

I'll probably be staying in Nosara, but will be sure to make a trip to see it.

Thanks again.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
532 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Playa Barrigona - accessible, swimmable, accommodations?

If you are not a surfer and want to swim, I am not so sure Nosara is the right choice either. It's surf city and the rip tides are serious there too. Samara is the safe beach in the area for swimming.

Nosara is a great place to go (a bit americanized, but everything is nestled in the trees), it's just not great for swimming. The town of Samara is more typical Costa Rican, it's more compact and not in the trees although it hills around it are - but it's the place to go for swimming, kayaking etc. FYI, the Flying Crocodile will pick you up at the Samara airport (I assume the Nosara one as well)

PVR

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
812 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Playa Barrigona - accessible, swimmable, accommodations?

Thanks for the info. Yeah, I haven't quite decided about Nosara. For some reason, though, Samara is not appealing to me a whole lot. I like the undeveloped-on-the-beach vibe of Nosara (I realize there is development but it seems away from the shore a bit) - or the less populated sound of Playa Carrillo. I may end up splitting my time between Nosara and Carrillo - with a trip or two into Samara.

Even though much of Nosara does sound like a surfers paradise, I have read many people talk about Playa Pelada being a more swimmable alternative right there. In any case, it just looks very beautiful - from the photos I've seen. I don't really need to go far out to play in the water. I think splitting my time between Nosara and Carrillo might be a good alternative though.

Thanks again!

San José
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Playa Barrigona - accessible, swimmable, accommodations?

Hi, no problem, the beach is still for everyone. You can swin and surf, but there some red tide once in a while.

Nearby accomodations: check this link: http.//www.samaramap.com follow the links on the map.

Have a nice time beeing in the area

6. Re: Playa Barrigona - accessible, swimmable, accommodations?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:20 am, September 23, 2009