We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Realistic driving time from SJO/Alajuela to Samara?

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
811 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Realistic driving time from SJO/Alajuela to Samara?

Hi - Can someone give me a realistic driving time from around the SJO airport to Samara? Maybe give me the time it would take someone who knows CR and the time it would take me, who's never been there.

Does anyone know about how much a private driver would cost?

Thanks.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
819 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Realistic driving time from SJO/Alajuela to Samara?

I'd say about seven hours either way. Ensure you have at least eight hours daylight before you leave, you don't want to drive after night-fall, which comes quickly in the tropics.

Otherwise, just google "driving in CR" in this forum, there are many excellent tips. It's not as bad as some make it out to be.

Can't help with private driver, never thought of using one.

check this on driving tips:

www.costaricamap.com/ing/infomanejar.html

have fun!

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
811 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Realistic driving time from SJO/Alajuela to Samara?

Wow, 7 hours. Most of the stuff I've read says 4 to 5. Big difference. Ugh. Thanks for the help...

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,327 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Realistic driving time from SJO/Alajuela to Samara?

On average, it takes frequent drivers about 3 1/2 to 4 hours and hence, it will take you probably about 4 to 4 1/2 hours.

Time is usually gained or lost anywhere up to San Ramon (after which traffic thins out) and in the mountains farther ahead. Naturally, slow moving trucks will cost you a lot of time - passing them like crazy could cost you your life, though.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,522 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Realistic driving time from SJO/Alajuela to Samara?

No way would it take 7 hours - I've done the drive several times and it only takes me about 4 hours (without speeding)

Canada
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Realistic driving time from SJO/Alajuela to Samara?

My husband and I just returned from Samara on Friday. We drove ourselves. It took 5 hours with one short stop for gas. If anyone can make that drive in 3.5 hours they are speeding (which we were pulled over for by the way - going 5 kms over the limit in an area poorly marked - thankfully we were given a warning - but very very lucky - if not we would have had to appear in San Jose to pay the ticket and with a flight to catch the next day - that would have been a BIG problem!!!). The traffic in the mountains around San Ramon is at times, grid lock, it can easily add an hour onto the trip. Passing is absolutely nothing short of stupid except in ideal circumstances. We saw some near head on collisions. DO NOT assume you can make that drive in anything less than 5 hours. Also, do not, I repeat do not drive at night. period. end stop. Stay in Alajuela and set out in the morning. The scenery is beautiful. Consider it part of the trip - or the journey.

durham
Level Contributor
8 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Realistic driving time from SJO/Alajuela to Samara?

It took us four hours. it was an easy drive.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
47,187 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Realistic driving time from SJO/Alajuela to Samara?

Not less than 5 hours...driving like a normal person...the road between San Ramon and Esparza can and will slow you down a lot...is a section of the road that is being fixed at we speak...close to Esparza...that section is slowing down every body...I was there YESTERDAY!! and going back to Monteverde today...

Any way is a vacation time...any irresponsible driver in Costa Rica and we have a lot of them...will try to drive fast to later said I drove it in 3 hours...what a man!!

San Jose /San Ramon....1 hour

San Ramon/Esparza...... 1 Hour

Esparza/to entrance of the Amistad bride...1 hour

Entrance to Amistad bridge/Nicoya....1 hour and 30 minutes

Nicoya/Samara....1 hour 30 minutes..

All depending if traffic is moving...

Luis Road Advisor

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in paradise!!

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
369 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Realistic driving time from SJO/Alajuela to Samara?

I think it took about 5 hours on interbus this past summer. That included a transfer and some waiting time.

9. Re: Realistic driving time from SJO/Alajuela to Samara?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:17 am, September 14, 2009