We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beer in Costa Rica

Which Playa Hermosa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ontario
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Topic
Beer in Costa Rica

When you go to Mexico you get Coronna, when you go to

the Dominican Republic you get El Presente. Both are very

good beers, what do the serve in Costa Rico ? Is it as good

as Coronna and El Pres.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,410 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beer in Costa Rica

Imperial, Pilsen are the two local beers and both are EXCELENT!

Corona is crap :(

Orlando
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beer in Costa Rica

Imperial, Tropical and Pilsen. Imperial seems to be favored. They are better than Corona which I rarely like, but not as good as Presidente.

Tampa, FL
Destination Expert
for San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
2,209 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Beer in Costa Rica

If you really want to drink beer like a native you should try it "con hielo" (with ice). It certainly helps cool the beer which sometimes can be a problem but for me I find it just ends up watering down my beer at the pace I drink. YMMV. Since you're a gringo they'll probably serve it to you "sin hielo" (you guessed it, without ice) anyway. Watering it down may not be the worst thing in the world since I believe the beer in CR has a little higher alcohol content than what you'll find in the heavily regulated US. Add the hot weather and you need to be careful you don't drink too much. Another tico beer that Sean forgot to mention is Bavaria (comes in light, gold and dark). It is more of a premium CR beer and usually costs a few colones more than the other two.

If the beer is still not strong enough for you, you might try Cacique which is local fire water and comes in the official brand (with an indian chief on the label, hence Cacique which means chief) and various moonshine varieties (watch out for those unless you want to risk going blind).

Whatever, you do don't drink and drive or if you're in the city don't drink and walk either. To complete your "native" experience you could smoke a few Derby brand cigarettes while you're drinking, though I wouldn't recommend that either. Personally, if I just stick with a 1-2 Imperials I'm usually quite happy.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,410 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beer in Costa Rica

dont forget the Rock Ice!

Lund, Sweden
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Beer in Costa Rica

Why does the big Latin American brands always taste like nothing? Dont get me wrong, I love it and the only time in my life I gained weight was while living in Costa Rica and I blame it entierly on the Imperial! But if you compare to European beers, you can really see a theme among the latin american. Its not Staropramen and certainly not Guiness;)

Tampa, FL
Destination Expert
for San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
2,209 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Beer in Costa Rica

Here are some other interesting beer facts.

I always like to try the local product. Of those, one of the best beers I've had was in Haiti where Prestige is the Papa Doc of all beers. Or maybe it just seemed so good because one doesn't expect a good beer in a country with no topsoil to grow hops and no fresh water.

Presidente in the DR is a good beer but they also have a major advantage of most of the beers you seem to be able to get in the Caribbean and Central and South America. It is always served ice cold instead of the luke warm beers you seem to get everywhere else. They are able to do this because of the brilliant marketing strategy of the Presidente company. Whenever a new bar is opening they're visited by a Presidente representative who offers them a free Presidente beer fridge...but only under the condition that they serve no other beer.

To njutning, its an american thing. We generally prefer our beers as light lagers as opposed to that mud you drink in Europe. I suggest you go for the Bavaria Dark next time you're in CR. I've had your french Kronenbourg though and that is pretty light too (though still quite tasty)

Lund, Sweden
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Beer in Costa Rica

Prolijo

Intresting information, I will certainly try the diffrent stuff out. Dont worry about the dark beer, I dont like it either, except Guinness with black currant! And dark beers you have to drink from tap, thats a problem else you dont get that good, fat almost creamish foam (you say that in english?) And speaking of that, you have to look at this picture, it can only be Guinness ntscblog.com/images/…guinness_pint.jpg

Else I like these kind of blurry beers, what are they called? They are not at all clear and they have often strange sidetasts like olive etc.

This is a bit off topic, but thats true this water vs mud (oil) thing goes for alot of stuff when it comes to Europeans and Americans not only beer, take coffe for example, its undrinkable in the states;)

Tampa, FL
Destination Expert
for San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
2,209 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Beer in Costa Rica

Now that pic is thick beer. It looks like you could stick a spoon in it and it would stick straight up without touching the sides.

And as long as you mentioned american coffee. Forget about the designer roasts that you find at your starbucks and try a colada from one of the local cuban cafes you can find here in florida. I believe you could stand up a spoon in that mud too if the cup wasn't so small. I think they must somehow manage to distill a pound of coffee down into a little tartar sized cup.

San Isidro de El...
Level Contributor
938 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beer in Costa Rica

If you consider Corona good you probably won't like much in the way of Costa Rican Beer. Imperial is a good beer, at least it has more flavor than a bud. I prefer the Bavarian Dark. What I don't like is ice cold beer. The true flavor of beer comes out at about 45 degrees F and is about what a good craft beer should be served at. The colder the beer the less flavor you will get because your taste buds loose some of their tasting ability. I frequently let my beer just sit and warm up before I drink it.

I haven't tried the DR beer but will have to give it a try if we ever get down there.

Jaco, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
1,056 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Beer in Costa Rica

Pilsen/ Imperial are ok when you are on vacation and only have the novelty of drinking them for a week. When you live here you tire of the beers quickly. Also have a lot of impurities in them. Always get a stomach ache after a night of partaking that I don't get with other beers. Also, it has to be had ice cold.