We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rx Meds

Walkersville...
Level Contributor
8 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Rx Meds

If I put all my meds into one container (without any Rx info on it), will I have a problem getting thru security/customs? I am trying to condense things by putting enough pills in one container for the time we'll be travelling.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rx Meds

I don't think you will have any problem. I have never been questioned about any meds I brought into the country. Just as long as it doesn't look like you are going into business!

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
882 posts
287 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rx Meds

I take a lot of vitamins, herbs and minerals in addition to a couple of prescription meds. I normally just put each days doses into a zip lock bag with the day written on the bag. I have never had any problems, and in fact have only been asked once about the pills in the bags. I do know that they say that they are supposed to be in the original containers, but that it a little absurd, especially if you take a lot of different things. I usually have a list of all the things that I have, just in case, including the prescription number, but as I have said, I have never needed it.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
290 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rx Meds

We spent over a month in Costa Rica last summer and we took what seemed like a TON of meds. I thought it was going to cause us some trouble, but we never even got a second glance. Some of it was in bottles, and some in baggies.

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
8,060 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rx Meds

agree with all of the above. I have to take 5 prescription medications and have never had any problems, you should be fine.

Walkersville...
Level Contributor
8 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rx Meds

Thanks -- good to know.

Midland, Texas
Level Contributor
206 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rx Meds

You should be fine traveling into Costa Rica--took a filled med planner without problems. IF you have controlled substances, I would advise you to leave them in the original container. Probably will not have any problem on the trip into Costa Rica, but could be a problem upon return with US customs. Most drug dogs are trained to detect fairly small amounts of controlled substances--and they are commonly used by US customs upon entry into the country. US federal law does require controlled substances be stored in properly labeled containers and prohibits the transfer to persons other than the person that the medication was prescribed.

7. Re: Rx Meds

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 9:26 am, April 16, 2012
8. Re: Rx Meds

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:16 pm, June 19, 2013