We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Time to Costa Rica - Tours, Etc.

Des Moines, Iowa
1 post
1 review
First Time to Costa Rica - Tours, Etc.

I will be heading to Costa Rica in early April. I have made reservations at Hotel Villa del Sueño. I am considering tours to Arenal and Monteverde, as well as the Witch's Rock Canopy Tour. Is it possible to accomplish all of this - and some time at the beach - in about a week?

Liberia, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
156 posts
1. Re: First Time to Costa Rica - Tours, Etc.

You will be busy but I believe you can fit that all in. Although I haven't done that actual canopy tour, I hear it is one of the better ones in that area.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
11,208 posts
23 reviews
2. Re: First Time to Costa Rica - Tours, Etc.

Hotel Villa del Sueño is roughly a 4 hour drive to Montverde or Arenal so I would not recommend daytrips to these areas. If you hadn't already made your reservations you could have combined 2 nights at Arenal and then continued on to the beach. Check the hotel's website for info on day tours available in the area. You don't have to book through the hotel if you'd rather use an independent operator.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
3. Re: First Time to Costa Rica - Tours, Etc.

I totally agree with crfan.

I think it is a bad idea to try to do a day trip to Arenal or Monteverde from Playa Hermosa. You will be 8 hours on the road and when you get there - what will you do? If you are driving, it is worse since we always recommend not driving after dark in an unfamiliar country. If you are not driving, you will be heading back in the dark and probably wishing you had gone somewhere closer.

There are some good day trips you can do -- any of these National Parks -- Rincon de la Vieja, Miravalles, Tenorio and Palo Verde - all 2 hours or less from Playa Hermosa and you will find hot springs, mud baths, hikes, horseback, waterfalls, etc.

www.costarica-nationalparks.com

For travel times and distances, look here: www.yourtravelmap.com

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
53,021 posts
119 reviews
4. Re: First Time to Costa Rica - Tours, Etc.

Good advice by Hattie,...way to much driving!

roadadvisor

guanacaste
Level Contributor
3,115 posts
54 reviews
5. Re: First Time to Costa Rica - Tours, Etc.

monteverde and arenal are a long drive, choose one of them and do rincon de la vieja volcano instead, which is closer,

good choice on villa del sueño, great food,

playa conchal
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
6. Re: First Time to Costa Rica - Tours, Etc.

I agree with hattie is much better to drive to rincon de la vieja

Scotland, Canada
Level Contributor
69 posts
42 reviews
7. Re: First Time to Costa Rica - Tours, Etc.

You will be pushing it. As you have already read Arenal and Monteverde are full day trips from Hermosa. What we did was to do the Rincon Volcano tour. Only 2 hour drive each way. There are a few tours here, all do the Volcanic Spring Spa- treatment with Mud Bath, great lunch, Horseback ride to the top and Zip lines to the bottom. Full day, lots of fun about $80.00 per person.

Brasilito, Costa...
Level Contributor
24 posts
8. Re: First Time to Costa Rica - Tours, Etc.

yes the best options is drive to rincon de la vieja volcano and there you can do some activities zipline,hotspring and more

if you need some information contact this people

www.pininosadventures.com

Playa Conchal...
Level Contributor
69 posts
9. Re: First Time to Costa Rica - Tours, Etc.

yes try rincon de la vieja is closer and nice area and agree with rostice this people of pininos adventures is real good but fore sure you can fing other people around the area

malekus tour or avispas

Parry Sound, ON
Level Contributor
25 posts
9 reviews
10. Re: First Time to Costa Rica - Tours, Etc.

I have done 3 different canopy tours in the Hermosa/Liberia area. I really didn't care for Witch's Rock at all. It is very expensive ($75) and that's all you do - zip line. If you are renting a car, drive to Borinquin, at the Rincon Vocano. That is where you will get the most bang for your buck, and it is a little over an hour from Hermosa. It is a really pretty (but rough) drive up into the mountains. For $80, you can horseback ride up to the top of the zip lines (a 30 - 40 minute horseback ride), zipline on 10 or 11 lines back down - the views are spectacular - have a 3 course hot lunch, use the steam room, mud baths and hot pools. I preferred this one over Witch's Rock by far. My second choice for ziplining is Congo Trail - it is less expensive and smaller but pretty. If you want directions to Borinquin, let me know.

Another thing that we did this trip was a sailboat tour. We left at 2:00, went to a beach for some snorkelling, had sandwiches, etc. after the snorkelling and cruised around for the sunset. This was a semi-private trip - the sailboat will hold about 12-15 people. We actually did it twice- the first time we were a group of 5 & another group of 7 thought they had the boat to themselves and were mad & didn't join us so we got it to ourselves. The second time, we were a group of 8 & she allowed us to book it privately with that size of a group. This is a very worthwhile excursion - $75 per person (included wine, beer & rum punch too), on a beautiful boat.

Get answers to your questions about Playa Hermosa