We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cash

Hoboken
1 post
Save Topic
Cash

What is the best way to pay for things in this area? I recently found out that not many ATM's accept a "mastercard". My plan now is to bring travelers checks. Are they widely accepted in Playa Hermosa?

Secondly, what is the going rate from Liberia Airport to the Playa Hermosa area? I'm being quoted $50 for Gray Lines which seems like a lot for a 20 minute trip.

Thank you.

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cash

I brought Traveler's checks, but changed them in my hotel in SJ. My friends brought their ATM and we only found operating ATMS at the Marriott in SJ! (I ended up loaning them USD from stash.) So, my advice, if you are not staying in moderate to high end places, your best bet is to bring cash and lock it in your room safe. Bring small demonation TC's ($20). Your change will be at whatever rate the shopkeepers feels like giving you. I seemed to get the best rates paying in USD cash regardless of where I was in CR. Credit cards - Visa and MC - worked well at many places, but I usually limited their use to my hotels. The fees various exchange services charge seemed to be pure whimsy, but that may be wrong.

As to the bus quote, I can't say. We drove. It does seem high for 1 person one way. I'd just make sure they quoted the correct Playa Hermosa, not the one down by Jaco by mistake.

Playa Hermosa...
Level Contributor
867 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cash

The hotels will only cash a limited amount of travelers checks each day. The closest ATM is 20 minutes away at the Do IT Centre There are a number of ATM's in Liberia and most companies you are touring with will stop for you. A combination of some travelers checks, US cash and credit cards is the best route. Some restaurants and many tour operators will not take credit cards. Cabs will charge approx. $35 - $40 from the airport and there are always more than enough.

Get answers to your questions about Playa Hermosa