We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay to visit Carara and Manuel Antonio

Placerville...
Level Contributor
141 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay to visit Carara and Manuel Antonio

Hi

We are staying in the area of Carara National Park and also hope to get to Manuel Antonio, our last three nights in Costa Rica.

I'm nlot sure where to stay. The maps I have aren't super detailed. Are we better off staying in Jaco, or is there something a little less touristy? Our first priority is to see the macaws at Carara and Manuel Antonio is secondary. We are very interested in seeing wildlife and scenery.

Thanks!

Punta Arenas, Costa...
Level Contributor
105 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay to visit Carara and Manuel Antonio

Hello Terriebari,

Your best choise to spot scarlet macaws and stay near by Carara is Villa Lapas hotel or Cerro Lodge, just depend on your budget, you can even do a visit to Pura Vida Gardens besides the Biological Reserve of Carara.

I have seen lots of Macaws many times between Jaco and Hermosa beach aerly on the morning, make sure to put an eye in the windshield on the way to Manuel Antonio, lots of beautiful macaws are nesting there.

Regards!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,303 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay to visit Carara and Manuel Antonio

If your idea is to have a Cararara hiking tour...and you will like to stay in a nice place with not to many people...Hotel Villas Caletas...I drive a few times a week to Manuel Antonio...and from Tracoles bridge all the way to Bejuco Beach...I see macaws almost every day...

Another little hotel with rave reviews here...Hotel El Paso de las Lapas...by the entrance of Pueblo Nuevo...great place run by a incredible nice costarican family...the Viquez Pacheco family!

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in PARADISE!

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,360 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay to visit Carara and Manuel Antonio

I would probably say somewhere near Tarcoles--that way you can do a crocodile/birding safari on the Tarcoles river as well. Manuel Antonio is best done as an afternoon tour, so you could easily stay in the Carara/Tarcoles area and drive 90 minutes there. Carara is best seen at the crack of dawn--I believe if you're a birder you can talk to somene about getting in before 7:00 am. An excellent guide is Juan Brenes, who does tours to both parks. His email is: aguilatour@hotmail.com

I think he has a blog--something like juanbrenes.blogspot.com. You can google him if those links are wrong--he also posts as natureguide here.

4. Re: Where to stay to visit Carara and Manuel Antonio

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, April 09, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Playa Hermosa