We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restraunts and Tours - Must DOs - Around Grand Papagayo

Which Playa Hermosa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Antonio
1 post
Save Topic
Restraunts and Tours - Must DOs - Around Grand Papagayo

We have a small group that is heading to the Occidental Grand Papagayo mid-June. None of us have ever been to Costa Rica, so we are looking for some suggestions.

1. We would like some suggestions on a great local (nothing horribly expensive) cuisine restraunt. You know, the places the LOCALS go.

2. A couple of us would like to go Scuba diving somewhere in the area (we've dove once before - not certified) -- Any suggestions for a good/reasonably priced Scuba company?

3. Any other MUST DO tours. We've been looking at the canopy tours and they sound great, however there are a LOT of tour companies that provide these... What would be the most adventurous one?

4. Which beach sould we visit? (I've never done surf boarding before, so I'd like to give that a try)

5. Any other things that we should consider doing?

We will be renting a car, so we won't be relying on cabs or taxi's, etc. for transportation - hopefully this helps us out.

Playa Hermosa...
Level Contributor
867 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restraunts and Tours - Must DOs - Around Grand Papagayo

For some hiking around the Grand Papagayo, Go out the main gate to the road and turn right, walk about 200 meters and you will see a dirt road on the left. Take some water, it is a great hike and worth it when you reach the top of the mountain. You can see Nicaragua to the north all Playa Hermosa and the Gulf of Papagayo to the west and south. My wife and I drive up there all the time with a bottle of wine to watch the sunsets.

I just added a couple of pictures my son and I took last week of the views you will have at the top of the mountain across from the Grand Papagayo. Keep in mind we have not had rain to speak of since last November and we are at the end of our dry season. In a few weeks once the rains begin......the terrain will all be a lush green again. Go to the bottom of this web page - costarica-realestate.com/…20Info.htm This page also lists restaurants in Playa Hermosa. You can also drive another ten minutes further to Playa del Coco where you will find many restaurants, banks and grocery shopping.

The Beach Club in Playa Panama and Costa Blanca 's restaurant is also with in walking distance of the Grand Papagayo or a short car ride. Beach Club is where the locals go, go food at reasonable prices

For surfing - your car rental agency will give you a map. Head out early in the morning to Tamarindo, it is only an hour south from the Grand Papagayo and easy to get to. There you will find surfing lessons and board rentals.

For scuba diving contact Diving Safaris (established here for 15 years) which is in Hermosa, just 5 minutes from your resort. They will pick you up at the resort - http://www.costaricadiving.net

Witches Rock Canopy Tour is about 45 minutes from the resort, easy to get to, drive yourself. The closest and best canopy tour in the direct area.

Playa Hermosa...
Level Contributor
867 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restraunts and Tours - Must DOs - Around Grand Papagayo

Sorry this didn't go through properly on my last post.

Go to the bottom of this web page -

costarica-realestate.com/…20Info.htm

This page also lists restaurants in Playa Hermosa. You can also drive another ten minutes further to Playa del Coco where you will find many restaurants, banks and grocery shopping.

3. Re: Restraunts and Tours - Must DOs - Around Grand Papagayo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:01 am, November 11, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Playa Hermosa