We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Villas Sol /Surfing Contest/Playa Hermosa...

US
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Villas Sol /Surfing Contest/Playa Hermosa...

Here are a few questions someone might help me with. We are a family of 4 with two teenagers 17,16 going to Villas Sol in late May. I read on the internet there is a surfing contest May 28,29. Does anyone know if you can see the contest from the beach and where it is? Does the resort have chairs on the beach? I read that the black sand is very hot and wondered if the resort provided beach towels or if we should bring our own. Are the bugs bad in May? I hear it rains most every afternoon in spring. I know there is a tour desk at the hotel. Is it better to book with them or someone else? I have read alot of conflicting reports about the resort and the food. We will be in a 2 bedrm villa. Any tips are appreciated.

Playa Hermosa...
Level Contributor
867 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Villas Sol /Surfing Contest/Playa Hermosa...

I will look into the surfing contest as I live just down the beach from Villas Sol.The resort does have chairs on the beach and towels are also available. It is more brown/beige sand and yes...it can be hot. So far we haven't had any rain and there are very few bugs. Reorts from guests staying at the resort recently have been good and you will appreciate having a villa over one of the hotel rooms. There is a grocery store 1/2 way down the beach and about 6 restaurants you can easily walk to from the resort. Personal yours...just for your family are available also. Email me direct at discovercostarica@yahoo.ca

and I can send you some pictures and more info I find on the Surfing contest.

Michael

Playa Hermosa...
Level Contributor
79 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Villas Sol /Surfing Contest/Playa Hermosa...

The Surf Contest is in Playa Hermosa, Jaco...not Playa Hermosa, Guanacaste. The surf in the Villas Sol Beach is not adequate for surfing though you can take a boat and go surf world class surf in Witch��s Rock and Ollie��s Point. The Resort has lounge chairs on the beach and offers towels at their Activities Center in the main pool of the villas. The sand is not black, more like a mix of gray and white, very nice! Bugs are not bad in may, but bring mosquitoe repellent just in case. So far, no rain showers over here in Hermosa as of May 10th...don��t think it will change dramatically. I suggest you book tours with them for convenience, but if you want to save some money look elsewhere. The food is breakfast, lunch, and dinner buffet; every night there is a theme dinner that consists of Italian, Spanish, BBQ, Caribbean, Mexican, International, and Costa Rican. They also have an a la carte restaurant that serves great international dishes. I would say the food is very good! Right now it��s low season so expect the place to be somewhat empty...make sure you go to several tours, snorkeling, and fishing! The Resort offers diving lessons too..Have fun!

US
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Villas Sol /Surfing Contest/Playa Hermosa...

Thank you very much for the information. We are most interested in the canopy tour. Would you suggest the tour where you glide along in the chair or walk on the swinging bridge? Are there any boat cruises?

Playa Hermosa...
Level Contributor
867 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Villas Sol /Surfing Contest/Playa Hermosa...

There are 4 different canopy tours in the area.

Congo Trail, Witches Rock (1 hr drive) Borinquen and Buena Vista.

Borinquen & Buena Vista canopy's are combined with other activities (optional horseback ride, water slide, lunches, hot springs & mud baths) Approx. 1 1/2 hrs from the resort.

There are power boats and numerous sail boats in the harbor offerring day sail & snorkel cruises and sunset cruises.

Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
34 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Villas Sol /Surfing Contest/Playa Hermosa...

any surfing contests in july?

Playa Hermosa...
Level Contributor
867 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Villas Sol /Surfing Contest/Playa Hermosa...

As Varillo mentioned the surfing is farther south at the "other" Playa Hermosa. If you want to surf...rent a car for the day and drive 1 hr south to Tamarindo.

Get answers to your questions about Playa Hermosa