We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crime in Costa Rica

Which Playa Hermosa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Northern California
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Crime in Costa Rica

I just returned from a lovely vacation in CR. The only unfortunate event was that we were robbed - a man came into our suite while we were sleeping!!! He crawled through a very very small window that was 6 feet off the ground and dropped 12 feet into our room. We never would have thought someone could get through that tiny window and never thought someone would come in while we were sleeping. I woke up and screamed and the guy broke down our door to get out with my husband on his tail. He did get away with my purse and our camara. We were happy no one was hurt and very scared by the whole ordeal. We were staying in the gated community of Playa Ocotal which is 4 miles from Coco. That same night a guard was SHOT in Playa Hermosa when he stopped robbers from entering his resort. This is just a reminder to those traveling to be careful. Bars on the windows and locks do not always stop people. Always lock all windows and doors no matter how high or safe they look. Keep all valuables out of sight or in a safe. It really is a bummer to get robbed!

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
Level Contributor
3,964 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crime in Costa Rica

A bummer to get robbed and very upsetting.

So sorry that happened you you. Were you staying at The Ocotal Resort? We were suppose to stay there but there was a mess up with the reservations. Maybe for the best, eventhough this could happen anywhere. Thanks for the info. Hope the rest of your trip was a positive one.

South Dakota
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Crime in Costa Rica

I was staying in Playa Hermosa during the week you are referring to. Can you share what night the break-in/shooting occured? We heard of break-ins in the hotel next to ours that were just like the one you described, through a tiny vent window by the ceiling. Guests and the guard scared away the thief. I have been to Playa Hermosa several times and hope that the increasing development isn't bringing more crime to such a lovely place.

3. Re: Crime in Costa Rica

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:34 am, June 26, 2008
Calgary, AB
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Crime in Costa Rica

We had a similar experience in Playa Hermosa. We rented a private house during the Christmas week Dec 2007 and although all our windows were closed, we forgot to lock one of the windows. Well guess which one they decided to cut the screen, and push open the window. We were a party of 5 all sleeping upstairs, while the robbed the entire downstairs of the house in the middle of the night while we slept. They/he/she took everything they could get there hands on: iPods, camera, even dirty clothes and my flip fops. Tourist police wasn't very helpful. I know crime can happen anywhere on any trip, but I was in Costa Rica for 3 weeks and the group I was with was robbed twice (the other time the thieves ripped the metal bars off of the hotel window in Aerenal and went through our luggage for valuables. Luckily we were away at dinner during that robbery)

new jersey
Level Contributor
44 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Crime in Costa Rica

I know this is late but I wanted to clear up the shooting incident for future readers. The guard that was shot, I assume this visit was in July 08, was killed. These were not robbers but a disgruntled employee and his amigios who were refused entrance to see the homeowner where he had worked and not been paid. The owner instructed the guard not to allow them in. An arguement ensued and then shots.

This doesn't make the situation any more tolerable but vistors shouldn't think gun carry robbers were trying to break into a community to rob someone.

6. Re: Crime in Costa Rica

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:18 am, October 04, 2009