We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

taxi boat

Which Playa Grande hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
100 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
taxi boat

From where in playa grande can you take a taxiboat to Tamarindo?

4 replies to this topic
guanacaste
Level Contributor
3,091 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: taxi boat

right at the river south of playa grande i have seen some boats, but i have never needed one to cross to the other side

Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: taxi boat

Playa Grande stretches about 3 miles from end to end. One end is the giant rock and the other is the river jetty. Depending on the tide, you cross at the jetty either by foot or by boat. We crossed from Playa Grande to Tamarindo at around noon by boat when we really could have waded across waist deep in the jetty. The bottom is uneven soft sand with some sharp shells which we found out about on our return back across. It was about 4 PM and we decided to try to make it by foot, but my wife and son got about 50 feet before having to call for the boat which swooped them up. I ended up to my chest in water and my daughter had to hold on to my neck in a current that was strong enough to make me second guess not taking the boat. We made across, but it was pretty stupid of me to risk it. They told me later that crocodiles swim in the area as well. Spend the $1 per person and enjoy the boat ride.

Providence, Rhode...
Level Contributor
126 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: taxi boat

Does anyone know when the water taxi stop? We are planning on staying in Playa Grande but want to visit Tamarindo at least one night. Should we just take a water taxi during the day and cab at night? Generally what's the cost? Thanks!

Playa Conchal...
Level Contributor
2,032 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: taxi boat

Ask about coming back across when you take the panga to Tamarindo. They're usually around unless you're going to be very late. Taxi would be around $20.

Reply to: taxi boat
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted