We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

las baulas turtle nesting

Westchester County...
Level Contributor
279 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
las baulas turtle nesting

We will be at the Marriott in Guanacaste at the end of November. The description of watching turtle nesting at Las Baulas seemed interesting. But then I checked out the reviews on TripAdvisor. There were not a lot of reviews, but most of the reviewers seem to have been disappointed.

I'd like to ask you experts whether you have any knowledge to share about this topic.

I understand that I might not see the turtles, but i don't want to feel like I am being ripped off or wasting my time, which is what some of the reviewers seem to say.

Tamarindo, Costa...
Level Contributor
747 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: las baulas turtle nesting

Also known as green turtles - the tour takes you about 40 minutes away over to Pirates Bay area where they come in there. Transportation is provided.

Westchester County...
Level Contributor
279 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: las baulas turtle nesting

XploreCR: Can you please tell us where you take the tour for the black turtles.

Thank you.

Tamarindo, Costa...
Level Contributor
747 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: las baulas turtle nesting

Any tour desk in Tamarindo can sell you the tour. They will organize your pickup from your hotel and give you the 'rules' of turtle watching and what you should wear etc.

Westchester County...
Level Contributor
279 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: las baulas turtle nesting

So XploreCR and everyone else:

what would you suggest:

1 Taking a chance on seeing leathernecks, which would be more spectacular if they appear but there is no guarantee of that

or

2. Going to Pirate's Bay, where we would be more likely to see green/black turtles, but which turtles are not as spectacular or rare as the leathernecks.

Tamarindo, Costa...
Level Contributor
747 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: las baulas turtle nesting

What I would do is wait until you're here to see if the leatherbacks are coming in with any frequency and what time the tour is going. For instance if the tour is at midnight, that may sway your decision.

San Jose, CA
Level Contributor
49 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: las baulas turtle nesting

Hi XploreCR, the green (black) turtles that you mentioned that arrive in the Pirates Bay are, are these the same species/type of green turtle that nests in Tortuguero from July to Oct? I'm going to Tortuguero in a week in the hopes of seeing the green turtle hatchlings, but am wondering if the tour you mentioned goes to see the same turtle species or a different one. Thanks!

Westchester County...
Level Contributor
279 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: las baulas turtle nesting

In case anyone is interested, this link discusses Costa Rican turtles in the Pacific Ocean:

www.pbs.org/edens/costarica/ridley.html

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: las baulas turtle nesting

The green turtle in Tortuguero is a different species from the black (green) turtle of the Pacific.

San Jose, CA
Level Contributor
49 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: las baulas turtle nesting

Thanks Hattie. Just curious, anybody find any mention of the green (black) turtle tour near Pirate's Bay? I searched online for half an hour and couldn't find any information or tour operators that advertised this tour. Would love to get any information anybody is able to find online--gracias!

Playa Conchal...
Level Contributor
2,036 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: las baulas turtle nesting

Just an idea, maybe contact Xplore Costa RIca?

http://xplorecostarica.com/