We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay on in Playa Flamingo or Playa Conchal?

edmonton
Level Contributor
15 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay on in Playa Flamingo or Playa Conchal?

I am ending a 3 week family holiday in Costa Rica on the beach. I am not too sure about staying at an inclusive due to the "cookie cutter" resort thing. My children are 15 and 12. Can anyone recommend a great family location on the beach or right by the beach that is on the more luxurious side with at least a little bit of Costian flare?

Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
edmonton
Level Contributor
15 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Where to stay on in Playa Flamingo or Playa Conchal?

Thanks for the suggestions.

We are going to Arenal area and Monteverde at the start of our holidays. How many days would you suggest for this area. We are not sure if we should do a tour to cover this area or do it on our own. Which would you recommend.

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Arenal Lodge
Arenal Lodge
893 Reviews
La Fortuna de San Carlos, Costa Rica
Monteverde
Monteverde
Province of Puntarenas, Costa Rica
California
Level Contributor
217 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Where to stay on in Playa Flamingo or Playa Conchal?

In Arenal we stayed at The Springs Resort which was lovely. Highly recommend it. Much better than some of the others we checked out. Brand new, very nice rooms, amazing gardens and a series of 20? hot springs at different temperatures built artistically throughout the gardens. Also a few waterslides for the kids and young at heart. There was also a nice display of native wild cats and monkeys on the property. The Spa was fab too (books up in a hurry so plan ahead.) For adventures, make a reservation a few days ahead with Sky Train for some of the wildest ziplines in Costa Rica. (I didn't do the zip lines with "the kids" but I did ride up in the tram with them to the starting point to see the views.) Also highly recommend Pure Trek for "canyoning". They repell down cliffs and waterfalls. An amazing experience. Both these tours can be arranged through The Springs Resort. We spent 3 nights and wished we had stayed a 4th. Do be aware the weather is very variable and sometimes changes hourly! Pack accordingly.

We have not done Monteverde yet, so I can't help with that one. Sorry!

I do recommend Tortuguero on the Caribbean side as a very cool and different experience. (You have to fly there by either Sansa or Natureair.)

Also if you are spending time in the capitol (not much to see), do check out Peace Lodge at the La Paz Waterfall Gardens. It's about an hour from the San Jose Airport and 20 min from the Poas Volcano. Even if you don't stay, it's worth a day trip. They have amazing humming birds, a butterfly aviary, bird aviary, monkeys, frogs, waterfall walk, and more. It's an amazing place! When we were there (don't remember the season) it was very cold. The only other place we enjoyed around the capitol was Zoo Ave which has lots of native birds and animals.

Edited: 10:51 pm, December 04, 2010
Mentioned in this post
Peace Lodge
Peace Lodge
1,355 Reviews
Heredia, Costa Rica
The Springs Resort and Spa
The Springs Resort and...
2,566 Reviews
Arenal Volcano National Park, Costa Rica
Arenal Lodge
Arenal Lodge
893 Reviews
La Fortuna de San Carlos, Costa Rica
Poas Volcano
Poas Volcano
3,097 Reviews
Poas Volcano National Park, Costa Rica
La Paz Waterfall Gardens
La Paz Waterfall Gardens
2,529 Reviews
Vara Blanca, Costa Rica
Zoo Ave
Zoo Ave
634 Reviews
Alajuela, Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Monteverde
Monteverde
Province of Puntarenas, Costa Rica
Tortuguero
Tortuguero
Province of Limon, Costa Rica
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
San Jose
San Jose
San Jose Metro, Costa Rica
13. Re: Where to stay on in Playa Flamingo or Playa Conchal?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:40 am, June 03, 2011