We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First trip to CR. Playa Flamingo, car rentals, places to eat

Blacksburg, Virginia
Level Contributor
29 posts
11 reviews
First trip to CR. Playa Flamingo, car rentals, places to eat

Trying to book for the end of November. How's the weather then? Best to get a rental car at airport (LIR) or shuttle? I think a car would be nice once we're there. How far is it from LIR to PF?

We like to try local food and places, so not really looking for all inclusives. Just a nice place, on the beach. Flamingo Beach Resort looks nice. Any worries there?

Thanks

10 replies to this topic
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
50,868 posts
38 reviews
1. Re: First trip to CR. Playa Flamingo, car rentals, places to eat

From LIR to PF about 1 hour and 15 minutes…minutes more minutes less…

Maybe you can take a private driver and once in PF rent a car…in that way you can see how we drive….

FBR is a nice place with good beach location…try some restaurants around Brasilito beach about 10 minutes from FB.

roadadvisor

4 posts
2. Re: First trip to CR. Playa Flamingo, car rentals, places to eat

If you are looking for local/traditional food you should contact Lady, she is a personal cook, includes waitress and most important her food is fantastic!

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Revie…

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
50,868 posts
38 reviews
3. Re: First trip to CR. Playa Flamingo, car rentals, places to eat

Great advice…good to know about Lady…gracias

roadadvisor

Bakersfield...
Level Contributor
98 posts
11 reviews
4. Re: First trip to CR. Playa Flamingo, car rentals, places to eat

Please post your experience after you return I am thinking of that very hotel for my next vacation and have not seen very many reviews for it :) I want to know if you like it and if you feel safe I will be traveling alone :) Hope you have a great vacation

Blacksburg, Virginia
Level Contributor
29 posts
11 reviews
5. Re: First trip to CR. Playa Flamingo, car rentals, places to eat

Tmrw is the last day and we'll probably rent SUPs or a small sailboat and enjoy the beach. Flamingo Resort is beautiful. Everything you need. The staff are all fantastic. Security is first rate.

The small community outside the gate also feels very safe. A couple of bars/restaurants to walk to as well as a convienence store and farmacia.

The beach is beautiful and uncongested. There are a few vendors for bracelets, bowls, drinks, and tours. But they were all polite and took "no gracias" for an answer.

I'll post a better review after we get home. But I highly recommend Flamingo Resort and Playa Flamingo. It has been a great vacation.

Please feel free to ask specific questions. I rely on these forums and reviews for our plans.

Good luck. Pura vida!

St. Paul, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
6. Re: First trip to CR. Playa Flamingo, car rentals, places to eat

Did you go all inclusive to this resort? Or breakfast only.

Blacksburg, Virginia
Level Contributor
29 posts
11 reviews
7. Re: First trip to CR. Playa Flamingo, car rentals, places to eat

We did the breakfast only. It made for very relaxing mornings of coffee, breakfast and beach each day and left us free to explore other places the rest of the time. I asked about AI when we got there and it would have added $75/day/person (2 day minimum). We did have a couple meals and hung around the pool bar some, but only spent $150 extra there for the week. The prices are about the same as all the other bars and restaurants close by.

We had a car, but if you don't you can book excursions at the hotel or we used Lazy Lizard for a fantastic catamaran/snorkling afternoon one day. There's a place to book them in the little plaza shopping center right outside the gate from Flamingo Beach Resort. Lazy Lizard has beach riding and mountain trips too. They are awesome to work with.

Enjoy Playa Flamingo. We'll be back!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
50,868 posts
38 reviews
8. Re: First trip to CR. Playa Flamingo, car rentals, places to eat

So nice to know that you are enjoining my country…

roadadvsior

buddy032606
Level Contributor
38 posts
30 reviews
9. Re: First trip to CR. Playa Flamingo, car rentals, places to eat

We will be staying at Flamingo resort and are not renting a car. Do you know how we could get to local restaurants? We are 2 girls traveling and want to be safe. We like trying local foods in towns close by.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
9,449 posts
70 reviews
10. Re: First trip to CR. Playa Flamingo, car rentals, places to eat

@9,

Have you tried looking at the TA's reviews pages of your resort? You can sort the reviews to show the ones with the key words of your choice. Above the most recent review there, on the Search line, type Restaurants and you will see lots of reviews talking about where the ppl ate - inside and outside the resort. E.g., https:/…CHECK_RATES_CONT . Also click on "Nearby" there and see the names of the restaurants and the distance to them: https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Review-g309… .

Reply to: First trip to CR. Playa Flamingo, car rentals, places to eat
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted