We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping the staff

Which Playas del Coco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Carson City, Nevada
2 posts
Save Topic
Tipping the staff

There will be 4 of us in a beautiful house for a week in Coco in November. This will be my first time having a cook and staff. What is a customary tip for a weeks service? We really have no idea.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,099 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping the staff

About $ 5.00 per day...

roadadvisor

Carson City, Nevada
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping the staff

That sounds very ,very low for cooking three meals a day, doing all the cleaning and laundry. If thats the case they will be very happy with our tip. Thank you.

Puerto Viejo de...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
2,237 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping the staff

I agree that $5 a day is low so go on, make them happy!

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping the staff

It kind of depends on how big your "staff" is. If it is one or two people, then $5 a day is a good tip.

Typically, there will be one person who cooks and cleans and does laundry - sort of like your Costa Rican Mom! Not sure how you have arranged it - but this might be the case.

If your "staff" has more people, they will probably be working in "shifts" and work fewer hours per person.

Naturally, if you feel like tipping more, then by all means do so!

Connecticut, USA
Level Contributor
514 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping the staff

Asking completely out of ignorance here, as I have not traveled to CR yet, but wouldn't $5/day be an appropriate tip for the hotel housekeeper who makes the beds and cleans the bathrooms in one hotel room? Also, is it best to leave the tip daily or at the end of a three day stay in a hotel?

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tipping the staff

I usually tip a dollar or so per day for a hotel maid. Sometimes I just leave a "wad" of coins that I have accumulated during the day, amounting to $1 or a bit more.

I think if there is an envelope in the room for tips, you can leave it every day. If there is no envelope, the maid might be confused if you leave a tip every day - wondering if it is just money you left lying around or if it is a tip.

The advantage of tipping every day is that the maid may change from day to day. If there is no envelope and you want to tip every day, just put the money with a little piece of paper (or bring an envelope) and write on it "propina para la limpiadora" (tip for the cleaner)

Connecticut, USA
Level Contributor
514 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tipping the staff

Thanks Hattie! I will have to test my boys' limited Spanish and see if they can write these notes. Good practice while they are on summer break.

8. Re: Tipping the staff

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:18 pm, October 07, 2012