We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

January trip, need advice

Which Playas del Coco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Diego
5 posts
Save Topic
January trip, need advice

My husband and I are planning a trip to Costa Rica this Jan. 1-9. We enjoy easy boogie boarding, wildlife, snorkeling and eating out. Small and funky is great as long as it is clean and comfortable. Do you have any places that you recommend? Do we need to make reservations now or can we just play it by ear?

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
7,845 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: January trip, need advice

That first week in January is a tough week for finding nice accommodations. Not as bad as X-Mas week but close to it. You will most likely find rooms but your selection will be seriously diminished. You may have to "settle". Montezuma is a great Town for a few days. Maybe try a Arenal Volcano followed by Montezuma or Dominical would make for a nice vacation. Check with crreferrals for hotel discounts and trip help http://www.crreferrals.com/TravelExperts.html I love em. Merry X Mas and good luck

Cheers

Inca

I travel, therefore I am...

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,036 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: January trip, need advice

Hi dobbySD...thank you for asking...simple answer , depends where you are planning to go...you can rent a car and go...I guarantee that you will find a place to stay almost anywhere...maybe not the one you like...but somenthing!

Maybe Arenal Volcano area...Monteverde Cloud Forst and Manuel Antonio...if you are flying into SJO.

Flying into LIR...any of the nice beaches in Guanacaste...Tamarindo...Hermosa...Coco...Potrero...Flamingo...Avellanas...Junquillal...Conchal...Brasilito...

Then a visit to Rincon de la Vieja Volcano...nice Cloud Forest up there...some great hot mud baths!

Rent a Car and a GPS if possible!

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in PARADISE!

roadadvisor

Tamarindo, Costa...
Level Contributor
1,781 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: January trip, need advice

Nice to see so many body boarders... my favorite sport! I see your from San Diego - a great surf town. Are you serious body boarders? If so, you'd want to be in the water someplace south of Playa Flamingo because that's where the surfing action begins.

For snorkeling, after traveling all that way. I'd do it right and take a combination catamaran/snorkeling cruise because they'll take you to the best places with food, music, sunsets, etc.

For eating in restaurants, can't beat Tamarindo! There are so many great ones. I think because of the severe competition, all of them have to be great. Yesterday, evening we went to La Vita Bella for Lebanese Food... very good!

Tamarindo Beach is on the northwestern coast of Costa Rica in the provience of Guanacaste. There are a wide range of accommodations available, including Surf Camp.

For example, Witch's Rock Surf Camp is small, comfortable, fun and funky. Give us more information and we can narrow your choices.

4. Re: January trip, need advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, June 20, 2010