We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

currency

windsor, ontario
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
currency

i'm Canadian. do i bring Canadian $ or should i bring U.S instead? also, do we need to convert to local currency when we get there?

ConchalFun
Scuba & Snorkeling, Fishing Charters & Tours, Gear Rentals
Surf & SUP Conchal
Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing
Playa Mina
Beaches, Nature & Wildlife Areas
Andalucia, Spain
Level Contributor
1,801 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: currency

We are staying at the Westin, and flying in to Liberia. All of our gratuities are being paid for by our host, but I may want to leave a bit more for a job well done ya know? But at the same time, I do not want to exchange a bunch of money in to colognes and end up with money that I cannot exchange back in the US.

My bank specifically said they could not exchange colognes for me either direction, even on a special order. :/

Thank you all for your helpful information.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: currency

You can exchange any leftover colones at a bank before you leave. You can also use colones to pay your departure tax. The Westin will probably exchange them for you at check out if you need to.

Start out with about 25,000 colones - around $50 - and go from there. If you need more, it's easy to get them.

Andalucia, Spain
Level Contributor
1,801 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: currency

Okay, great. Thanks so much. The departure tax has already been arranged through our hosts, so I will not have to pay that directly. I will check with the Westin about exchanging some money.

Ontario's Near...
Level Contributor
69 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: currency

Scotiabank Costa Rica is 100% owned by Scotiabank. Scotiabank CR has 36 branches (offices) through out Costa Rica, as well as a network of 80 cash machines. I have personally changed Canadian dollars to Costa Rica Colones at various Scotia Bank branches in Costa Rica.

The advantage for a Canadian to bring Canadian dollars, instead of US dollars is that you don't lose 2 to 3% (commission) exchanging Canadian dollars to US dollars, only to again exchange the US dollars to CR Colones. Everytime asomeone exchanges money, they pay a commission, otherwise no one would be in the business of exchanging money.

US dollars work everywhere in Costa Rica, so for ease and convenience they are best, but if you have the wherewithal and means to visit a Scotiabank branch in Costa Rica, then Canadian dollars can be exchanged to Costa Rica Colones very easily and very cost effectively. This is accurate information.

Enjoy the beautiful country of Costa Rica!

Toronto, Canada
3 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: currency

you can exchange canadian to colones at the bank there. i buy a little american before i oleave canada so i can get to my lodging. the rest i exchange there directly to colones. the ticos like us dollar because they can get a few extra colones from the bank off exchange. if you are only going for a week you might just want to take us dollars for ease an no time wasted ,a little extra money spent. Note :take a lot of ones, fives and some tens be cause you dont want to constantly break twentys for a tip, a short cab ride, guy watching your car when shopping or out for the night. when paying a cab only and slowly count out 1,2,3,4 or 5,10,15 until the driver says that enough. this will definitely cost less. if you show to much they will take. 1 us =500 colones

16. Re: currency

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, January 23, 2015