We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Book On TripAdvisor Bonus Book your hotel on TripAdvisor — then save 20% on things to do for your trip. Use code BOOKTOSAVE.

No feed policy for the kitties

Which Playa Conchal hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Carle Place, New...
Level Contributor
307 posts
3 reviews
No feed policy for the kitties

I have read nothing but excellent reviews about the Westin up until this one. Did anyone else see these starving skinny kitties and told NOT TO FEED THEM? I am a big animal lover and that would really upset me. I understand not feeding the wildlife but they can find their own food. Cats can't.The review even stated that they were reprimanded!!!

Playa Conchal...
Level Contributor
203 posts
21 reviews
1. Re: No feed policy for the kitties

I am an animal lover of cats, I don't think you would be put in jail. I know that some animals actually get mees up by humans but cats depend on humans. So do not worry and do what your will tells you if you do not do it some one else will.

Remember that God feeds even the birds of the sky who do not toil or work but God feeds them.

Happy travels

Edited: 12:05 pm, October 21, 2012
cape cod...
Level Contributor
8,426 posts
28 reviews
2. Re: No feed policy for the kitties

Erik...that is lovely but I am also looking to book the Westin and am very upset by the reviewer who said they were reprimanded for feeding the kitties! I don't feed wildlife as I understand that can upset the balance of nature with devastating consequences however kitties? The Westin needs to rethink this policy! I am also an animal lover as is my husband and it would RUIN our vacation to see starving cats at the resort!

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
Level Contributor
2,559 posts
20 reviews
3. Re: No feed policy for the kitties

I like cats but have had local strays in my kitchen stealing food off the stove. I wonder if the Westin are trying to maintain high standards of hygiene by not encouraging cats, rather than exercising deliberate cruelty. The most humane approach would be to neuter the cats in the area and not feed an ever increasing population that will inevitably become a nuisance. Do remember that while Costa Rica is not a very poor country, there are many poor people living here and some locals may feel it is wasteful to give perfectly good food to a cat when there are people going without. I await the damning comments for my lack of compassion but I'm just trying to offer another viewpoint.

cape cod...
Level Contributor
8,426 posts
28 reviews
4. Re: No feed policy for the kitties

Thanks for another perspective Sara..however I cannot have fun with kitties starving around me. I would have to feed them. It is the same if I see dogs in the Dominican Republic. It's upsetting. The cats that you speak of are only trying to survive.

I don't know what the answer is besides as you say, capture them and spay and neuter...

The hotels have cats as part of their rodent control program.

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
Level Contributor
3,073 posts
28 reviews
5. Re: No feed policy for the kitties

believe it or not, domestic cats can and do hunt, they will hunt lizards and birds with a very high success rate and can do harm to costa rica's environment, which isn't designed to support domestic cats. by not helping to perpetuate domestic cats in cr, you are actually helping the local eco system.

cape cod...
Level Contributor
8,426 posts
28 reviews
6. Re: No feed policy for the kitties

No kidding they hunt....it's instinctive! Why do you think they are there! As I said it's part of the rodent control program at many resorts worldwide!

I'm not going to sit back and let a kitten starve under any circumstances.

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
Level Contributor
3,073 posts
28 reviews
7. Re: No feed policy for the kitties

in costa rica, snakes do the job of keeping vermin in check. you do realize that the invasive domestic cat is depriving the native snake species of food, right? everything has its place on the planet and cats don't belong in costa rica, they are a threat to native species.

Carle Place, New...
Level Contributor
307 posts
3 reviews
8. Re: No feed policy for the kitties

Hi Sara,

I am not saying to let the cats in the kitchen or to give them good food.I mean to give them food that people waste on their plates that the resort would normally throw in the garbage. To show how starving these poor animal are they lady gave the cat a piece of bread and the poor thing ate it .

I tell you this really ruins my vacation seeing these poor skinny kitties. I have been to several resorts and they have never had a policy not to feed the starving cats and most of the time they also gave the cats scraps.

It is a very painful death for a cat to starve. If the westin doesn't want to feed them and nor allowing anyone else to feed them they should do the humane thing for them and trap them and euthanize them it would be a lot painless for them.

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
Level Contributor
2,559 posts
20 reviews
9. Re: No feed policy for the kitties

Thanks for the personal response, Cathie. Maybe you should try contacting the Westin directly. They have excellent reviews and I'm sure would be happy to explain their policy to you. You could suggest your trap and kill policy to them too. Then do share with us any update you have, you won't be the only person concerned about this issue.

Carle Place, New...
Level Contributor
307 posts
3 reviews
10. Re: No feed policy for the kitties

I think the best thing for me to do at this point is to speak to the Hotel Manager in person when I arrive Nov.11th. As it is too late for me to make any changes as I have fully paid. I will keep everyone informed.