We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Earthquake

Decatur, Illinois
Level Contributor
146 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Earthquake

We are scheduled to stay at the Westin this Saturday. Did the earthquake cause any damage that we should possibly reschedule our trip? It looks like it was pretty severe and now there are tsunami warnings.

ConchalFun
Scuba & Snorkeling, Fishing Charters & Tours, Gear Rentals
Surf & SUP Conchal
Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing
Playa Mina
Beaches, Nature & Wildlife Areas
Anchorage, Alaska
Level Contributor
580 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Earthquake

that is about my mentality....... so LET US KNOW when you get there please please.. or even messageme. I am ok with cracks and a little rubble..if the service is good, the sun is hot, I am safe and have a good pool and good food! :) crossing my fingers for you..yet keeping a close watch!

Baltimore, Maryland
2 posts
Save Reply
22. Re: Earthquake

@york, we will see you there wednesday. When you get a chance let us know how it is once you get there. enjoy your vacation.

Somewhere in MD
Level Contributor
31 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Earthquake

I would appreciate any updates as to the condition of the Riu. I am scheduled to visit for my honeymoon on October 22, 2012. I am reading mixed reviews about the condition of the hotel - minor damage to major damage. I'm worried ....

Uvita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Uvita, Ojochal
Level Contributor
2,649 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Earthquake

There is a review about the earthquake damage at RIU: tripadvisor.com.mx/ShowUserReviews-g2561261-…

Unfortunately they are forcasting 1 month of aftershocks in the area and regardless of what RIU state it will need a full structural survay to determin if the multilevel structure is safe and will withstand aftershoks safely. Saddly one of the two casulties in Costa Rica happened when a wall calapsed on a person at RIU. A real tragedy!

Somewhere in MD
Level Contributor
31 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Earthquake

Thomas,

I had read that someone had died when a wall had fallen on them .... Is there anywhere in the news that shows that this happened at the Riu?

Thank you,

Candace

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
3,528 posts
Save Reply
26. Re: Earthquake

According to Riu´s official statement there was only some cosmetic damage to the hotel and they are now back to normal. They said they will have all the workers from the new Riu Palace next door work on fixing the minor damages at Riu Guanacaste and they will have all the repairs ready in 3 days.

Playa Conchal...
Level Contributor
203 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Earthquake

Costa Rica is a place with constant earthquake activity, just today happend a 5.2 earthquake.

28. Re: Earthquake

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, October 12, 2013