We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

WE are going!!! Final Qs - mainly moneys

california
Level Contributor
134 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
WE are going!!! Final Qs - mainly moneys

First off, thank you to all the TA answers Ive been getting... helpful in planning.

We are leaving next week.

Just wondering -

1. How much money should I bring for 3 pp - cash

2. How much to tip?

after eating in the restos?

we are staying in all-inclusive westin

after going on a tour? tour guide

after having luggage taken cared of?

car shuttle driver?

we want to save money, but dont want to be offensively cheap:-)

Thank you!!!!!

ConchalFun
Scuba & Snorkeling, Fishing Charters & Tours, Gear Rentals
Playa Mina
Beaches, Nature & Wildlife Areas
Aloticos Tours and Travels
Boat Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Toronto
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: WE are going!!! Final Qs - mainly moneys

My thoughts on tipping is that it is a very personal thing. It's whatever you are comfortable with. There is no right answer or wrong answer.

I've never understood why people come on TA and tell everyone how much they tip. It's like telling people how much you donate to charity. It's no one's business but your own.

To quote George Steinbrenner: "But if you do something good for some person and more than two people know about it—you and the other person—then you didn't do it for the right reason.”

If you can afford to stay at the Westin, then I'm pretty sure you have an idea how much to tip folks. And you're not really out to save money.

Just give from the heart and you won't go wrong. Tip because you want to to, not because you feel you have to.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
9,510 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: WE are going!!! Final Qs - mainly moneys

While I agree in principle with Rancho you could also take a look at the general guidelines published by lonely planet at lonelyplanet.com/costa-rica/…money-costs and Costa Rica Expeditions at costaricaexpeditions.com/MichaelKaye/tipping… and Fodor's at fodors.com/world/…travel-tip_2400710.html

nebraska
Level Contributor
1,137 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: WE are going!!! Final Qs - mainly moneys

Tip like you would in the US. I am sure no one will be offended. Please feel free to Hug if appropriate. Our first trip to CR was in 2003. Our driver from the hotel (Wilson Rojas--now driving his own tour van) gave me a kiss on the cheek & hug when we left. Where did that come from? We didn't come from a family of huggers. But it was nice!

We now have owned a home in CR for a few years and of course have many Tico friends.

When I tip, I follow 2 questions: Did they earn it? Do they need it? The answer is usually a big YES.

Tamarindo, Costa...
Level Contributor
490 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: WE are going!!! Final Qs - mainly moneys

With regards to tipping, please remember that the average salary for a Costa Rican working in this area is about $400-$600 dolars per month (you will probably be paying that much to stay in the Westin per night). Even so, you will find that the people in this part of the world are some of the happiest you will ever meet. I still find it amazing and inspirational that the culture here encourages people to find an innate joy in the most simple things in life (family, friends, and nature).

I guess my point is that you probably should not be afraid of "over-tipping" somebody, remember every person who you see working has chosen to live a moral (and often times more difficult) life and are more than likely working to support their family. $20 to you might not seem like much, but it could definitely mean the world of difference to one of your maids, who works 6 days a week so she can pay for her daughter's university education (an average cost of about $600 per quarter - even down here).

california
Level Contributor
134 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: WE are going!!! Final Qs - mainly moneys

thank you to all for the replies!! much appreciated!

Edited: 5:47 am, July 06, 2012
Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,404 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: WE are going!!! Final Qs - mainly moneys

In general, we tip as we would anywhere else, unless the management has a different policy (some places have one collective "tip jar" to which you can contribute--the theory being that the grounds crews and cooks are no less deserving of tips than wait staff and room cleaners).

For guides and drivers, typically $5-15 per person depending on length and quality of tour.

That may mean we tip more than is 'required' or 'expected' but karma comes into play--sometimes you will get the same guide for a different tour later in your trip--and if you tipped him well, it is better for you.

7. Re: WE are going!!! Final Qs - mainly moneys

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:46 pm, July 09, 2013