We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

malaria

New york city
1 post
Save Topic
malaria

I am going to a resort in costa rica, paradisius concha playa. I think we are going to do only one trip to the rain forest, I was wondering if anyone took the malaria medicine. I think that it is a little excessive but some of the people in my group are doing that. Any avice???

California
Level Contributor
143 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: malaria

I'm going to costa rica next month and I'd rather be safe then sorry so I'm gonna take it, but it's your personal decision.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
554 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: malaria

hey chappya;I .myself relly think that it is overkill(poor choice of words..I know)..but really you should check with your local health officials--they are in the know.I really saw very few mosquitos in costa rica..but it's certainly a personal choice--how far to take your precautions..have fun..the cabinman

Salmon Arm, Canada
Level Contributor
78 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: malaria

Didn`t get bit in the rainforest, but did (many times!!) on the Pacific coast beaches. Despite any amount of Deet 30% they seemed to love my legs and ankles. Was so bad in Playa Bejuco, that I at my supper in our hotel room the second night. I`m glad I took the malaria meds.

Tampa, FL
Destination Expert
for San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
2,234 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: malaria

Cabinman is right it is a personal choice. I, personally happen to be in the don't bother camp but what you do is up to what ever you feel most comfortable with. A few things to consider:

1) the malaria rate in CR (for the year 2000 anyway) was 42.3 cases per year per 100,000 people. How many of those were foreign tourists thee for 1-2 weeks and how many were locals that live in the affected areas year round, your guess is as good as mine.

2) Just because you get bit by a mosquito does not mean you are going to get malaria anymore than it means you will get lyme's disease in the US. The mosquitos that are actual carriers are a small percentage of all the insects that are around. BTW, were those mosquitos that were biting hawkspirit in the last post or sand fleas (which are common around beach areas) and do sand fleas sometimes carry malaria too? I really don't know myself.

Anyway, here is another recent thread on this very subject with lots of info and opinions:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g291982-i813-k5056…

Salmon Arm, Canada
Level Contributor
78 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: malaria

I`m a registered nurse, and those were definately mosquitoes!!!! I am not one to lay on the beach, and the mosquitoes came out at dusk, and devoured me...huge welts, and that is with me taking a daily antihistamine. Of course, the silly bugs have always liked me, since I was a kid, so I was prepared. They didn`t bother me elsewhere in the country, just near the beaches on the Pacific coast.

I found a good cream "Benadryl with Lidocaine" that soothed the "itchiness".

Yes, it is up to everyone whether or not they take the chloroquine tablets, but I preferred not to worry about the possibility of malaria.