We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Occidental Grand Papagayo or Allegro Papagayo by Occidental

NY
Level Contributor
34 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Occidental Grand Papagayo or Allegro Papagayo by Occidental

We are trying to book a family vacation (my husband, daughter, his parents and I) and don't know which one of these two resorts would be better for us. These are the only two options offered by our vacation club in Costa Rica. Can anyone please tell me which one is best suited for children and senior citizens? Also which one is closer to all the sightseeing and which has better food. Thanks!!!!

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,749 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Occidental Grand Papagayo or Allegro Papagayo by Occidental

We stayed at the Allegro last May, we absolutely loved it! This is more of a family oriented hotel, where as the Grand is more upscale and suited to couples. Rooms at the Allegro are simple, the service wonderful, and the food good. Try the interesting fruits, the pineapple is the best i have ever eaten. Fresh fish was so yummy. We used Vargas tours for our sightseeing. There were 5 of us. They picked us up in the am with capable driver, and awesome guide (carlos). Check out their website vargascostarictours.com. The hotel is situated on a hill, so walking can be a challenge if you aren't in shape. But they do have a shuttle service to get you around. Bring some toilet paper with you, theirs is a bit rough. Activities during the day for everyone, and evening shows are fun. I believe they have a kids club, for 12 and under. Be sure to visit the private beach and do the snorkel trip from the resort (charlies). Costa Rica is so beautiful, be sure to see it.

NY
Level Contributor
34 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Occidental Grand Papagayo or Allegro Papagayo by Occidental

thanks PVETRAVELOR,

My family and I visited Costa Rica in August and stayed at the Grand.

Nice hotel, but I'm not sure that I would return to it. Dining choices were very limited and during our week long stay we were only allowed to eat once at the specialty restaurants. We were a bit sick of the buffet, specially my husband. The pool is small compared to other places we have been to and I didn't really see any night entertainment except for a couple of nights when they had traditional costa rican dancers. We had two seniors in our party and had to use the shuttle service all the time. This was very convenient and was always very prompt. We also did the sunset walk offered by the hotel (which I highly recommend with children) and the adventure walk, both a lot of fun, the later one more of a workout and for adults and teenagers. The kids club was almost non-existent, as I did see a couple of toys by the pool but no one ever playing games with the children.

Costa Rica is a very lush and beautiful country, it rained a lot while we were there but we still enjoyed some sightseeing. We used Vargas tours to visit Borinquen resort and the canopying. Although a bit pricey, we had a great time and the canopying was really fun.

I learned that what we consider summertime (june-sept) for them is the raining season so I would go in January or February. But we also learned that during dry season the scenery is not very green in the pacific side of the country. The beach was not particularly pretty and the water did not have the turquoise color of the caribbean, but the hotel has kayaks and snorkeling equipment available.

All in all I would recommend it to couples and people looking for seclusion and not much activity or dining choices.

If you stay here and are lucky to have Antonio as a waiter, say hello,

he's an incredible person, as most costa ricans are.

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,749 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Occidental Grand Papagayo or Allegro Papagayo by Occidental

We went in late May and the weather was great. Only rained in the evenings, beautiful lightning show. Everything had started to green up and it was beautiful. You may want to plan on going at the very beginning of the rainy season.

Keswick, Canada
Level Contributor
21 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Occidental Grand Papagayo or Allegro Papagayo by Occidental

I stayed at Allegro in April. It was a nice resort. Nothing fancy but good service and food. It is on a hill so if the seniors travelling with you have any mobility problems this might be a concern. We stayed in the lowest building but it was still around 40 steps down to the pool/buffet area. There are vans that run around the resort if you don't want to walk u pthe hills - they are steepest I have seen anywhere. I second using Vargas tours.

New York
Level Contributor
225 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Occidental Grand Papagayo or Allegro Papagayo by Occidental

Hello-My husband & I stayed at the Grand Papagayo at the end of October for a week. The hotel was very nice a 3 1/2 star based on 5 stars. It is built into the side of a mountain, so it is made up of sections of rooms. There is ALOT of working to get around. But there are shuttles, which we did not use except when it rained. Walked off the extra food. Was a bit disappointed as we were to have an oceanview room. Well first it is set on a gulf, not direct on the ocean. There were alot of trees that I guess had grown that blocked the view. They did not have sliding glass doors (which we love). The food was good. The buffet restaurant had different themes each night, you eat my candlelight which is nice. There is an Italian restuarant(we ate in twice-very good all al a carte) & an Asian that we did not get to try. BOOK these as soon as you get there. There were not many kids there at all when we were there, but guess it was the time we were there. True the pool is not that big-but it was okay. The beach is nothing like Mexico beaches. If you plan to do sightseeing, send Amy from Avispas Adventures an email for information info@avispasadventures.com -they were GREAT. I highly recommend them. If you need more info contact me sandreiev@yahoo.com

6. Re: Occidental Grand Papagayo or Allegro Papagayo by Occidental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:16 pm, August 14, 2009