We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Monkeys in Nicoya?

Fairfax, Virginia
1 post
Save Topic
Monkeys in Nicoya?

Will be in CR for about 7 days with wife and two boys 9/11 with a few days in Monteverde and the remaining time at the the beach. We would like to go to MA however, we are worried about the rain. (Will be in CR about August 7 through 14) Wife will be there another week when grand parents arrive.

We are considering going to the Nicoya Peninsua instead. Are there any beach areas where we will be able to see monkeys from the hotels as MA is so well known for?

Edited: 11:08 am, July 19, 2011
Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
Level Contributor
3,397 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Monkeys in Nicoya?

i stay at www.hotellosmangos.com in montezuma, on the southern tip of the nicoya pen. howler monkeys live in the mango trees that shade nearly the entire property and white face capuchins pass through a couple times through the day. playa grande is good for swimming most days, especially in the morning.

Punta Uva, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Monkeys in Nicoya?

Lots of howlers in the area, you should have no problem seeing some, another option is to head for Punta Uva area on the Caribbean coast, lots of wildlife including three variety of monkeys, howlers, white face capuchins, and spider monkeys. Usually better weather there that time of year.

Edited: 1:43 pm, July 19, 2011
Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
Level Contributor
3,969 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Monkeys in Nicoya?

I just got back from MA and we didn't see as many monkeys as usual. The weather was crap though. Usually at the hotel, Verde Mar, there are a ton of monkeys, but not a one this trip. We did see them in MA but had to look for them.

In Montezuma we had monkeys come into our hotel area and saw howlers in both Montezuma and Mal Pais area.

Seoul, South Korea
Level Contributor
876 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Monkeys in Nicoya?

Montezuma has lots of Howler monkeys and they have Cappuchins. They lived all over the place in the trees around our lodging when I stayed there and I saw them in many locations. There are not the same amount of species in the area though. In MA there are 4 species...Howlers, Cappuchins, Spider, and Squirrel Monkeys (the recently endangered Mono Titi's).

Playa Guiones...
Destination Expert
for Nosara
Level Contributor
2,215 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Monkeys in Nicoya?

Lots of Howlers in Nosara. They wake me up every day, very annoying! Ha!They also troop through my yard every afternoon.

6. Re: Monkeys in Nicoya?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, October 10, 2012