We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which would you choose for several nights: Montezuma, Mal...

Oregon
Level Contributor
21 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Which would you choose for several nights: Montezuma, Mal...

Hello all,

We are refining our August Costa Rica trip. We are going for three weeks, and after a lot of reading and researching, I think the Nicoya Peninsula area we want to stay in is the Montezuma area. I have found affordable and great-looking hotels in each of these areas. We are vegan, so the hippie-ish sounding scene and food options of Montezuma appeal. However, the beaches of the other areas combined with less crowds is likewise appealing. Ultimately, we are looking for beautiful beaches that are good for swimming and possibly snorkeling, a place to get a beer, ability to go on a smaller day trip or two, and a good general place for our more laid-back and relaxed segment of the trip.

So which of these would be your pick for spending 3-4 nights? Alternately, is there somewhere else on Nicoya you would recommend over this area (such as Playa Samara area?). I am pretty sure we are going to skip Tamarindo altogether, based in part on posts on this board.

Thanks for any insight, I very much appreciate it!

Lily

Hawaii
13 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Which would you choose for several nights: Montezuma, Mal...

Aloha,

I'm currently in Tamarindo I shot you an email before I left. We went to Montezuma and didn't like it. Dirty, seedy and over-rated. The beaches and ocean are dirty with trash. Went to Isla Tortuga to snorkel didn't even get in the water because so much trash. I say skip it and stay in Mal Pais/Santa Teresa. Loved it here!!!!! Check out Horizon. New beautiful vegan/yoga retreat on the hill. $70 a nite with your own kitchenette. Yoga classes, restuarant and massage availible. You can take day trips to Montezuma to see waterfalls or look around. Only a 30 minute drive. Beware the roads now are really terrible. They had a really bad rainy season last year. If you are planning to go to Nosara or Samara from here you can not take the coastline route. You have to go through Nicoya. It took us 5 1/2 hours to get to Tamarindo from Mal Pais. Tamarindo has changed. Roads are worse than years before and the town is a little more seedy with much more development going on everywhere. However, the nite life is fun. If you want to dance and go out try to plan to be in Tamarindo on the weekend it is best. Monkey Bar for salsa/DJ on Friday nites, then after that a new club Rey Sol gets started later. Big Bazar is gone. But Babylon is great for Reggae just don't use the bathrooms (scary). Mambo Bar is dangerous now. There is also La Barra lots of fun on Saturday nites and then Rey Sol after that.

12. Re: Which would you choose for several nights: Montezuma, Mal...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:18 pm, August 14, 2009