We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malaria Pills for Costa Rica

Calgary, AB
Level Contributor
73 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Malaria Pills for Costa Rica

I was told that to go to a resort in Costa Rica (Liberia) I must take malaria pills. Yikes.

calgary, AB
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Malaria Pills for Costa Rica

Call the international travel clinic in Calgary for a consultation. We are going in Feb with three kids and was told at our visit they were not necessary. 1/10,000 chance and not a confirmed case in years. We are visiting Montedverde, la Fortuna, and the Guanacaste region. We were told that we have a better chance of getting denge fever than malaria (no pills or vacination). Got our Hep A shots and bring lots of repellant 30% or better deet.

new york
Level Contributor
49 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Malaria Pills for Costa Rica

is Hep A necessary? we didn't get shots in time..yikes. so many differing opinions.

new york
Level Contributor
49 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Malaria Pills for Costa Rica

also...do u think "skin so soft" will be good enough.hate to be using DEET everyday and on my face!!

4. Re: Malaria Pills for Costa Rica

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:15 pm, September 26, 2005
Calgary, AB
Level Contributor
73 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Malaria Pills for Costa Rica

Thanks for all your advice! Lynn

GTA
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Malaria Pills for Costa Rica

Don't know who told you to take Malaria pills, but I have lived in the rainforest in CR multiple times, not one of us ever took malaria pills, even on the 'Mosquito Coast'. Also only 50% of the group had the Hep A/B vaccine and not one of us even got the runs. The fire ants are another story... But don't worry, it only hurts for about 5 seconds...

new york
Level Contributor
49 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Malaria Pills for Costa Rica

well i was going to take malaria pills till i found out the generic brand was $80 for one wk! I dont know how families going on vacation afford it!

Calgary, AB
Level Contributor
250 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Malaria Pills for Costa Rica

Here's the whole story; My sister and brother in law went to Costa Rica last Wednesday and were on Malaria Pills after going to the Public Health Dept. in Grande Prairie. Apparently the health nurse said that Costa Rica is a big malaria zone!! My husband and I were thinking of this being our next vacation destination so this is good news for us but my poor relatives spent a fortune for Quinine pills (sp?). They even said that they were staying exclusively on the resort!

calgary, AB
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Malaria Pills for Costa Rica

As far as I know it was the Dominican Republic that just had the outbreak. Everything I have researched says you don't need them.

Playa Hermosa...
Level Contributor
867 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Malaria Pills for Costa Rica

uniden1

I haven't heard of a case od Malaria here in the last ten years (Guanacaste) What a shame the misinformation given too your relatives will cause them to spend their whole time here within the resort! These forums are a way of wonderful supplying up to date, factual information.

Michael