We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Easter Week in Costa Rica

GGR
Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Easter Week in Costa Rica

We are staying at the Allegro the week prior to Easter, March 2005. I am reading that "everything closes up" during the Thursday - Sunday of this week throughout the country and there is no alcohol served during this time (even at all inclusives). Any information/insight on this?

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
15 posts
37 reviews
1. Re: Easter Week in Costa Rica

My wife and I were in Costa Rica during the week leading up to Easter last year. It is a holiday period and many Ticos pack up and head for the resort areas including the area you will be visiting. San Juan is pretty dead. Reservations are important and expect to pay more for lodgings during this week. As I recall Good Friday had some closures - not certain about alcohol being served. We flew out on Easter Sunday so can't speak to that day. It's a good time to visit Costa Rica -- very little chance of rain. It will certainly thaw you out after a winter in Milwaukee!

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
638 posts
29 reviews
2. Re: Easter Week in Costa Rica

We just spent two weeks at the Fiesta -- a few kilometers from the Allegro -- during the Christmas holidays. There were no closures at our resort (even Christmas Day) and alcohol was served at all times. You can always send an e-mail to the hotel -- check their websites. Our experience with the Fiesta was they responded promptly to any question or concern.

Washington, DC
6 posts
1 review
3. Re: Easter Week in Costa Rica

We just came back from a small town in Nicoya after spending the Christmas holidays there. Other than banks, it was pretty much business as usual on Christmas Eve and Christmas day, with even small restaurants and bars serving everything all day (and fairly late in the evening). Even the local supermarket was open until mid-afternoon and dispensing all types of alcohol.