We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

basketball hoop and or stand-alone system

Which Liberia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bangor, Maine
9 posts
Save Topic
basketball hoop and or stand-alone system

I'm flying into LIberia and headed down the Guanacaste Peninsula in late April 2014. Is there anyplace in Liberia or Santa Cruz to buy a basketball hoop or a complete basketball System. Walmart in the U.S. carries a dozen or so like the description that follows; Is there anyway to order one through them - I believe there is a Walmart in LIberia.

$167

Lifetime 1534 Portable Basketball System:

Portable 31 gallon base

48"x30" shatter proof backboard with Makrolon polycarbonate

Slam-it rim with 2 compression springs

Strong arm adjustment uses counter balanced springs to adjust the backboard from 8'-10' in 6" increments

Nowhere
Destination Expert
for Playa Samara
Level Contributor
3,959 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: basketball hoop and or stand-alone system

Look at the following freight-forwarding companies:

Jet Box

Aerocasillas

Spring Box

CRBox

CRenvios

I believe Aerocasillas is one of the most reputable.

Basically, they set up a physical address for you in Miami to which you have your product shipped. From there, it will be processed and send to you in CR (or, most often, to one of their offices in CR). To the best of my knowledge, most of them only have offices in the Central Valley - however, it's possible that some have offices around Tamarindo as well.

Might be worth checking out - just be prepared to pay a premium.

In the end, it might be cheaper for you to simply get your hoop in San Jose and have it delivered - I've paid as little as $5 to have heavy stuff delivered...

Bangor, Maine
9 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: basketball hoop and or stand-alone system

What is one of the local residents has a mailing address?

Nowhere
Destination Expert
for Playa Samara
Level Contributor
3,959 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: basketball hoop and or stand-alone system

Do you mean an address through one of the freight forwarders or a regular postal address?

For a regular posta adress, the scenario is the same as for anyone - large packages usually arrive at a port of entry. The local resident will have to travel to the port, bring the package through customs, pay the fees, and transport the hoop back home. Or he has to hire a company that will do all that for him.

It would be easier and faster for the local resident to go to San Jose and simply buy the hoop in a store - or have a friend/relative do so because they happen to go to SJ anyway.

If he/she uses a freight forwarder, then you can, of course, just send the box to his/her (freight-forwarding) address.

Edited: 2:31 pm, April 07, 2014
Nowhere
Destination Expert
for Playa Samara
Level Contributor
3,959 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: basketball hoop and or stand-alone system

If the latter, make sure you have the person's approval first. Also make sure that you and he/she understand the cost of doing so.

For example, shipping a simple DVD can run up to $14, depending on the forwarder....

Bangor, Maine
9 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: basketball hoop and or stand-alone system

Wow - I had no idea it would be this complicated. I guess we'll just check a hoop and net through with or in our luggage. Any idea how that will go through customs?

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: basketball hoop and or stand-alone system

You won't have any problem with that.

The "complications" arise when you mail or ship something to Costa Rica as it goes to the Customs warehouse where you need to retrieve it. (Unless you have one of the private mail services listed by Framptonian and they will do that for you...... for a fee.)

But when you arrive with something, it is rare that the customs people ever give it a second look.

Nowhere
Destination Expert
for Playa Samara
Level Contributor
3,959 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: basketball hoop and or stand-alone system

As Hattie said: Bringing your hoop on the plane won't be a problem in terms of customs. I've brought all kinds of odds and ends and only once had a customs officer ask me what "THAT" is (it was a bunch of special irrigation hoses). Nobody ever wanted any money, though.

The problem for you will, likely, be the cost of flying your hoop to CR. Your package could potentially either exceed weight allowance, size allowance, or both. In either case, airlines are in the habit of charging you a hefty price for transporting stuff that exceeds their restrictions.

The hoop you listed (Lifetime 1534), for example, has a shipping weight of about 50 lbs, give or take a few pounds. Since the backboard is one whole piece, the package is, at a minimum 48 x 32 inches plus whatever height is needed. Thus, there is a good chance of the package exceeding both weight and size restrictions (Alas, if you are really lucky, you might just be within weight allowances by taking a few things out of the package).

American Airlines, for example, will charge you $100 for overweight baggage, and $200 for oversized....No idea how they would charge a combination of both, if applicable. Also keep in mind that, even if your package were to be within the restrictions, they will still charge you for a second piece of luggage (AA charges $40). Assuming that you are also bringing some clothes and other personal items, you'll at least be on the hook for that.

Again, it might be cheaper to just get on the bus to SJ to buy it there...

Bangor, Maine
9 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: basketball hoop and or stand-alone system

Thank you all so much. This is really helpful. I've looked at just rims and I think I can get one in my suitcase:

Shipping Weight (in pounds): 12.0

Product in Inches (L x W x H): 24.0 x 20.0 x 2.0"

San Jose is just not a possibility : (

Nowhere
Destination Expert
for Playa Samara
Level Contributor
3,959 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: basketball hoop and or stand-alone system

Indeed - something like that should not cause you any problems.

Happy trails.

20. Re: basketball hoop and or stand-alone system

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 10, 2015