We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

basketball hoop and or stand-alone system

Which Liberia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bangor, Maine
9 posts
Save Topic
basketball hoop and or stand-alone system

I'm flying into LIberia and headed down the Guanacaste Peninsula in late April 2014. Is there anyplace in Liberia or Santa Cruz to buy a basketball hoop or a complete basketball System. Walmart in the U.S. carries a dozen or so like the description that follows; Is there anyway to order one through them - I believe there is a Walmart in LIberia.

$167

Lifetime 1534 Portable Basketball System:

Portable 31 gallon base

48"x30" shatter proof backboard with Makrolon polycarbonate

Slam-it rim with 2 compression springs

Strong arm adjustment uses counter balanced springs to adjust the backboard from 8'-10' in 6" increments

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: basketball hoop and or stand-alone system

I've never seen ANY basketball equipment for sale in Costa Rica. There probably are places you can buy it, but I don't know of any. Probably the best bet for something like this near Liberia would be the Do It Center which is west of the airport.

You understand, right, that soccer is The Game in Costa Rica? I have seen basketball courts built outside high schools that have never been used ONCE for basketball but used regularly for soccer and occasionally for volleyball.

If this set if really important to you, you will need to buy it in the US and bring it with you.

Bangor, Maine
9 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: basketball hoop and or stand-alone system

Does the "Do It Center" have a website by any chance?

Nowhere
Destination Expert
for Playa Samara
Level Contributor
3,959 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: basketball hoop and or stand-alone system

I doubt that you will be able to find one in Guanacaste. I have never seen one at the Do it Center, either, but you never know what you're going to find.

You could also try MaxiBodega - they have a variety of items and just perhaps one of them is a basketball hoop. Then again, I don't ever recall seeing one - but I wasn't actively looking, either.

Most likely, you will have to go to San Jose to get one at Pricesmart:

www.pricesmart.com/Local/Shop/Search.aspx…

Bangor, Maine
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: basketball hoop and or stand-alone system

It's for a small community center in Venado where we are going in 2 weeks.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: basketball hoop and or stand-alone system

Has someone there asked you for this or is it just your idea?

If no one as asked for this, then you would be better off to bring something that more can enjoy. Soccer equipment is the main thing - but perhaps some other items such as jigsaw puzzles, cards, games, maybe a small plastic bowling set.

Of course, community centers all need funds for chairs, tables, perhaps kitchen equipment, etc, so maybe just wait until you are here to see what they need.

If they have requested that you bring the basketball equipment, my apologies. But I do think that you would be better off to buy it in the US than have to go all around the country to see if you can find what you need.

Bangor, Maine
9 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: basketball hoop and or stand-alone system

Has anyone ever tried shipping (FedEx) anything that big to Costa Rica?

Shipping Weight (in pounds): 77.5

Product in Inches (L x W x H): 90.0 x 48.0 x 150.0

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: basketball hoop and or stand-alone system

Shipping would be outrageously expensive. I'm not even sure that FedEx would accept something that big. Plus, it would probably end up in the Customs warehouse where you would have to go and retrieve it after paying duties.

If you are determined to do this, then bring the hoops, nets and balls and I can guarantee you that talented Costa Ricans can make stands or whatever is necessary.

I repeat my question: Have they asked you to bring something like this? Or is it your idea?

Bangor, Maine
9 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: basketball hoop and or stand-alone system

It was a request.

Nowhere
Destination Expert
for Playa Samara
Level Contributor
3,959 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: basketball hoop and or stand-alone system

Yup - I've shipped large parcels to Costa Rica via DHL.

1.) It took FOREVER to get to Costa Rica - something like two months.

2.) It arrived at Puerto Caldera - which was a four hour drive for me back then - one way.

3.) I had to get it through customs - which warranted the erection of a tent...

4.) There was a customs fee.

5.) There was a customs agent "fee."

In short, this is usually not a good idea.

Alas, there are better ways, but they require some footwork beforehand, the establishment of a designated privately-owned shipping "mailbox," and a fee. When all is said and done, you can simply order from Amazon and it will arrive at your "mailbox" some time later.

I don't think you'll be able to set this up unless you are actually in Costa Rica.

Edited: 1:57 pm, April 07, 2014
Bangor, Maine
9 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: basketball hoop and or stand-alone system

Thank you - I guess I won't spend any more time trying to find one to buy there.