We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dumb questions about Ocotal and Liberia

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
122 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
Dumb questions about Ocotal and Liberia

1)What is the sand like? I was reading something about black sand, but none of the pictures really show black sand.

2)Is it very tropical in this area? Is there abundant wildlife? In particular, monkeys?

3)Is it expensive?

4)Best place for surf lessons? Canopy tours? Waterfalls?

Many thanks!!

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dumb questions about Ocotal and Liberia

1. The sand is dark-ish.

2. It is very tropical. ?? There are monkeys.

3. "Expensive" is subjective. There are lots of villas and condos for rent. For me, $300 a night would be very expensive...... for others, not so much.

4. Playas del Coco for surf lessons (or go south for better waves), canopy tours are available - check this out also http://guachipelin.com/one-day-pass.html Just under two hours from Ocotal. Yes, you can visit waterfalls in Rincon de la Vieja National Park or at Llanos del Cortes. I don't think there are any waterfalls in Ocotal.

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
122 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dumb questions about Ocotal and Liberia

Thanks a lot. I guess when I asked about pricing, I should have clarified. I meant for food/taxis/excursions.... Since you know a lot about Costa Rica, where is your favorite sport in Costa Rica? I want to go there for my 40th birthday, close to a beach, lots of activities, etc.

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
122 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dumb questions about Ocotal and Liberia

Sorry, I meant to type favorite spot/city/town?

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dumb questions about Ocotal and Liberia

I can't really say what is my "favorite spot/city/town" -- there are too many! Also - I can't really say whether taxis or excursions or food is "expensive" or not. Everyone feels differently about this. I can say that there is food available at all price ranges and at local "sodas" you can get a huge meal for under $10.

Taxis are 755 colones per kilometer - but you can always negotiate a trip. For excursions - a lot of people do a mix of paid excursions and free or inexpensive ones. You will be able to get the best variety of excursions if you have your own car rather than using all organized tours.

I put together this list for someone else - maybe it will help you:

1. Do the One Day Adventure Pass at Guachipelin. www.guachipelin.com

2. Visit Rincon de la Vieja National Park for hiking, volcano, waterfalls, hot springs, mud pots, etc.

3. Go horseback riding, fishing or boating

4. Visit Santa Rosa National Park and see the old farmstead known as "La Casona" - now a museum - it figures prominently in Costa Rican history. There are several nearby trails to choose from and one longish trail ends at a deserted beach.

5. Visit El Viejo Wetlands and take a boat tour through Palo Verde National Park http://www.elviejowetlands.com/

6. Take the boat to Witch's Rock for surfing or just visiting a beautiful beach.

7. Visit the town of Guatil where you can see authentic Chorotega pottery being made.

8. Head to the Tenorio National Park for the hike to the Rio Celeste.

9. Go to Llanos del Cortes waterfall. Huge waterfall with small swimming area. There are often monkeys in the trees overhead.

10. Visit Las Pumas Wildlife Rescue Center in Canas where you can see all sorts of animals, including big cats.

11. Arrange a sailing trip with the Sea Bird out of Playas del Coco. Snorkeling or just a quiet sunset cruise.

12. Take a whitewater rafting trip on the Tenorio River or a float trip on the Corobici River. www.rinconcorobici.com

13. Take a whitewater rafting trip on the Cucaracho River riostropicales.com/index.php/…cucaracho-river

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
122 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dumb questions about Ocotal and Liberia

Wow that is fantastic!!! Thank you so much.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
3,387 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dumb questions about Ocotal and Liberia

Check VRBO. Tthere are a handful of condos to rent at reasonable cost in Playa Hermosa. We have stayed in Hermosa Heights and again at Vilas Sol. Many of the things to do and spots to visit that Hattie listed are reachable from Playa Hermosa as a day trip.. Ocotal beach sand is quite black south of Father Rooster's. Father Rooster's is a great beach restaurant.in Ocotal. Great spot and good eats..

ZIP LINE... Congo Trail south of Sardinal.

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
122 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dumb questions about Ocotal and Liberia

Based on the prices of the homes and size we need, I think the Ocotal or Playas del Coco area seems to be the best spot. It also looks to be an hour to some of the great spots Hattie mentioned. Looking google maps, is the area kind of desert like? It seems less green in that area.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dumb questions about Ocotal and Liberia

If you come in the "dry season" - January through May - it will be dry in the whole northwest of Costa Rica. It's not "desert-like" - but just that the fields are yellow or yellow/brown. But trees and shrubs and all the forests are all still green.

Los Angeles...
14 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Dumb questions about Ocotal and Liberia

HattieCostaRica - great list. thx for posting

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,782 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dumb questions about Ocotal and Liberia

Tamarindo beach is waiting for you guys...everything you are looking for and even more...fun place...fun people around...just common sense!

roadadvisor