We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Poas Rental Car

Folsom, California
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Topic
Poas Rental Car

Do not use Poas Rental Car in Liberia, Costa Rica. We called ahead of time and told them our itinerary. They recommended a car for $205. When we got there, they told us that we needed to upgrade to another car for $115. more because of the roads. We did. We didn't need to upgrade. Our car had many dings and scrapes. When we got back, they charged us for another scrape. We hadn't gotten into any bender fenders. They were extremely rude. They are not going to fix the car, but were happy to charge us for another scrape. I could not believe the service we got. The cars are a mess. I would recommend finding a different rental car agency.

Puerto Viejo, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
1,651 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Poas Rental Car

Thanks for posting your experience with Poas. We have a Poas location here in Puerto Viejo. They too have bad cars and bad service. If clients ask me about them I tell to read TA forums.

Rumour has it... Another company with a much better reputation is coming to Puerto Viejo Center. Looking forward to that.

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
Level Contributor
2,649 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Poas Rental Car

Sorry to hear about your bad experience. Thanks for sharing so that others can steer clear!

punta uva
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Poas Rental Car

Hi everybody, i live in the puerto viejo area for the past 10 years where i have my business, and i did use poas service lots of times, for me , for my parents for friends, the cars were always very good, and the service much more, very friendly and helpfull, specially randall who always took personally the service to the customers, i seriously recommend poas rent a car and i keepusing it and recomending to family friends and customers.

Venice, Italy
Level Contributor
32 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Poas Rental Car

I had the same bad experience renting my car with Poas from San Jose. They confirmed me a price, which should have included all taxes and insurances, as confirmed in writing form by their secretary Silvia, but once we arrived in San Jose and were ready to start our tour, they refused to honour the agreement. They upgraded us to a Daihatsu Terios (instead of the Toyota 4wd originally reserved... what an upgrade! Btw I doubt they really have any Toyota 4wd), asking us to pay +120$. Since we didn't have enough dollars with us, they overcharged us +100$ for not paying in dollars. The official explanation was that they had then to change the money to dollars, the real explanation they should have given to us was: "WE ARE CHEATERS, what were you expecting from us?!?".

The car was anything but safe (the tires were too much used, including the reserve one, that was really dangerous with wet streets), the air conditioning wasn't working from the beginning (it never cooled more than 2°C respect the outside temperature) and we registered a number of minor problems, since the car suddenly stopped to work. We were in Monteverde and called the number Luiz gave us as 24/7 assistance. They never answered (and I guess the office was closed, being Sunday morning, btw they didn't answer), nor they never called back in TWO weeks: we had to pay a taxi (over the 1300$ for 17 days rental we already paid to Poas) to avoid missing the excursion we had already paid for and have the car repaired by ourselves!!!!

The day we had to return the car, we called them at about 9-10am - and then again reconfirmed by midday - to organize the meeting for 2pm at our hotel in San Jose, but they weren't there. Finally they arrived at 5pm (and till that time we didn't even had a shower, expecting them to arrive in seconds) and tried to charge us THEIR 3-hour delay!! We firmly refused this new cheat, then Luiz asked us to paied the gasoline, despite the fact that we had already replenished the tank few kilometers away from the hotel and indeed, as Luiz confirmed, the tank was full. New explanation was that he had to take the car to Alajuela and by the time he would have arrived there, the tank would have been not longer full. Why then could I have chosen from your proper website San Jose Downtown as point of deliver/return? I would have prefer to take the car to Alajuela by myself and save three hours of my vacation, which I spent waiting for you!!! Furthermore, after 4-hour driving that morning I had the tank full for 10.000 colones, while Luiz pretended from us 5.000 to drive 20 minutes to Alajuela. Isn't this company a complete rip-off? For us it was a really bad mistake that costed us way too much.

Isla de Vieques...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Poas Rental Car

I had a terrible experience with Poas Rental Car. We were refer to them by our front desk agent, and a representative came to our hotel. As were we filling out the forms we began to feel uneasy. The lady wanted me to fill out several credit card slips with my credit card number and sign them blank. I told her that I would sign for the rental amount only. I had agreed to all the terms in their contract, but that they would need to speak with me before charging my card for additional charges. She became very angry, and told me if I didn't sign the blank credit card slips than I couldn't rent the car. I chose not to rent the car. She went back to her office, and put an $1,100 hold on my credit card purely out of spite. 2 weeks later, the funds are still being held. Stay away from these people, they are not trustworthy.

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
69 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Poas Rental Car

I've also had a bad experience with them, glad to see that I'm not alone. On the bright side, the other few times I visited Costa Rice, I used Speedy Rental Cards after doing my research and asking my friends which car rental company to use and I have not been disappointed.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
47,172 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Poas Rental Car

Thank you good to know…my advice as always…regarding rent a cars…deal direct with rent a cars offices…avoid middle people or travel agents…basically the same thing…they just looking for your commission…

Once again GRACIAS…

roadadvisor

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Poas Rental Car

We rented a car in Puerto Viejo from Poas and couldn't be happier with the service from Randall. He went above and beyond to make sure we had the right car. After three weeks in Puerto Viejo we were going to drive around the country and were concerned about our old tires. We talked to Randall about it and the next morning he delivered a new car to the house where we were staying. He is the reason we were so satisfied with POAS. His caring, happy, conscientious personality were without comparison for customer service.

9. Re: Poas Rental Car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, August 29, 2015