We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus from Liberia to San Jose

Blue Hill, Maine
Level Contributor
5 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Bus from Liberia to San Jose

I can fly directly into San Jose where I'm spending a week or I an actually fly a little cheaper into Liberia and take the bus. What I'm curious about is if the bus ride is scenic and provide me a taste of different parts of Costa Rica or is it a boring, unscenic ride? This will help me determine if I just fly into San Jose. Thanks!

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus from Liberia to San Jose

The bus ride from Liberia to San Jose is very scenic, traveling through various areas of Costa Rica including mountainous areas. It takes about four hours. To get the bus for San Jose, you can take a taxi into Liberia to the bus station (the airport is about 12 km out of town) or there is a bus that goes regularly from the airport to the bus station in Liberia.

Not sure exactly why you want to go from Liberia to San Jose but on the way, you will pass by (or near) TONS of "things to do and see."

Blue Hill, Maine
Level Contributor
5 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus from Liberia to San Jose

Thank you so much HattieCostaRica. I will only be in CR for a week and am headed to Escuza for dental work. Thought it would be fun to see some of the country while there. Is actually cheaper to fly into Liberia and fly home out of San Jose!

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus from Liberia to San Jose

TimA - I think you will enjoy the ride from Liberia to San Jose. The driver will make at least one stop for a break, rest room, snacks, drinks. The bus may or may not be air conditioned. You can put your luggage in the compartment underneath the bus. Keep your valuables with you and don't put anything in the overhead bin. I usually use a small day pack for this. If you are concerned about petty theft or pickpockets, wear a money belt. It's not a common thing, but can happen.

Riding the bus is one of the best ways to get to know Costa Rica and Costa Ricans since this is the way most Costa Ricans travel.

Good luck with your dental work! There are some really great dentists in Costa Rica.

Bx
Level Contributor
233 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus from Liberia to San Jose

I was on this bus last week.

The Pulmitan buses take 2 different routes into San Jose. The express buses are at 3am, 4am, 5am, noon and in the afternoon sometime.

If your hotel or lodging is in Escazu and not San Jose, you want to get out before the last stop. This will be quicker and your taxi ride less expensive.

If the take the Caldera highway (some express options), they will go through Escazu and you should probably get out at the mall and get a taxi from there.

If the take the old road, you are better off getting off at Hospital Mexico and getting a taxi from there. (They park at the bus stop). If you see a Suzuki dealership outside the left hand window its the hospital mexico stop and I have never been on this bus when at least 4 people did not request this stop). It will save time and money.

5. Re: Bus from Liberia to San Jose

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, March 29, 2014